S vs C

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is there any difference in the audio between these 2 dLive series? That is to say, are the differences only in features and is the sound quality exactly the same between the C and S series boxes?

Shouldn’t be. The brain is the same on both kinds of rack unit. The only *real* difference between S and c class mixracks, are that you get 2nd/redundant gigaAce port, hot-swappable PSU, and extra IO slots IIRC. Same basic difference on the control surfaces if I’m not mistaken.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

You are indeed correct, redundancy,power supplies and network expansion ports.
    Can’t remember if there is a difference in the fixed I/O on the surfaces.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

more fixed I/O on S-class
    and more encoders in the EQ section and a full equipped input section (gain and filters with dedicated control)
    and more user buttons

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

If you’re worried about sound and you understand the dLive concept the question you should ask needs to be about the difference between DM and CDM stage racks. They have the AD converters and back, they process everything and they fully work even if the surface gets disconnected. Processing is identical on CDM and DM. I don’t know about the AD converters and preamps. DM sure offers more expansion options and redundancy with surface connection and power supply.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you for your replies!

Ok, so in trying to ask the correct question: are the Preamps and AD converters on the CDM and DM identical?

Bonus question: Can any S/C console connect and operate any CDM/DM Mixrack?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

all devices are fully compatible

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Ok, so in trying to ask the correct question: are the Preamps and AD converters on the CDM and DM identical?

Bonus question: Can any S/C console connect and operate any CDM/DM Mixrack?

Yes and yes.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes, C-Class surfaces will work on DM Mixracks and S-Class surfaces will work on CDM Mixracks, with the exception of redundant network connection between surface and mixrack. That’s S-Class/DM exclusive out of the box or needs to be done by adding GigaACE extension cards.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Anyone regret getting the C class instead of the S class? There’s a considerable price difference for what seems like small surface/redundancy differences.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

I currently own 3 DM racks, 2 S (5000/7000) series consoles and a C1500, I’m looking at changing out one of our DM32 racks for a CDM simply to drop the weight for fly shows (I can fly a DM32, but it doesn’t allow for a lot else in the pack, where I can get the same I/O count on a CDM32 5kgs lighter, and a smaller unit means I can also use a smaller pelican dropping the weight again. I’ve found no performance difference between surfaces, only workflow (and after using the C1500 quite a lot I’ve got all my workflow stuff down anyway – I use the soft keys & an IP8 for DCAs etc & it’s all pretty easy from there).

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Anyone regret getting the C class instead of the S class? There’s a considerable price difference for what seems like small surface/redundancy differences.

The only thing I now miss is the extra card slots in the S-class mixrack that the C-Class doesn’t have. Right now, that’s populated with my Waves card. But if I want to run an SQ for monitors, I’ll need to put a GigaAce card in that slot and move my Waves card to my surface. Not a biggie. But a change.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you both.

So what changes when you move a card from the MixRack to the surface?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Mr X,

Audio wise, there is no difference in the slots. They are all 128×128 and fully patchable in the system. Redundancy risk in C without dual links/power.

If you are running GigaAce on the surface (is that allowed?), then you are sharing the network bandwidth of both consoles through the primary GigaAce.

I’ve also taken the stance that if the surface were to die, I could continue the show on a laptop/ipad, but any audio through the surface is lost.

Jay

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

So what changes when you move a card from the MixRack to the surface?

Other that what Jay said, above, I’d need to reprogram the I/O telling it that the Waves card resides in the surface now instead of the mixrack.

Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.