Running powered monitors with AES Out

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Running powered monitors with AES Out

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of garyh garyh 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tallen55
    tallen55
    Participant

So I connected my QU-16 to Adam S2V monitors with the digital AES out. I’m trying to monitor sound playback and tracking from Logic Pro 10 on my Mac. The Mac is connected to the rear panel USB on QU-16. After much trail and error I got the speakers to finally play sound from computer (send to channel 17-18). Now my problem is that the volume is controlled by Stereo 1 fader and by master fader. Is there a way to control AES out volume independent from master volume?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

since the AES out mirrors some bus outs it is not possible to control it separately

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

With a QU 16 short of using a post mix out to the AES you could select L R Pre for the AES out, for monitor level control you would need to the controls on the monitors.

For a non digital monitor connection you could use the ALT OUT and then control the
    monitor levels with the ALT OUT level knob.

tallen55
    Participant

So how would I set up “post mix out to AES”? Sounds like I may my stuck using the alt out analog solution, which is quite disappointing since the S2V monitors have the AES3 input option. I’m guessing Allen Heath didn’t have this configuration in mind when they designed the QU series.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Use a mix and set the AES to that mix.

tallen55
    Participant

Ah, yeah, prob not a good option since since I’m using 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 for monitor mixes for musicians headphones for tracking. I suppose I could change one of those to mono mix.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you have a stereo mix for tracking that doesn’t get changed a lot, use 2 mono mixes and pan using the faders.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.