RTA analyser doesn't work

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting RTA analyser doesn't work

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tofke78 Tofke78 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

After update 1.7 RTA analyser sometimes doesn’t work. Does someone else also has this problem?

I hoped for better sound when recording with this update but still crappy sound.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

What do you mean by “doesn’t work”

The sound of the desk is pretty good to my ears – what issues do you have with it?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Crappy recorded sound is not due to the desk, it’s due to what’s coming into it. A poor choice of input, mic or DI, and lack of recording experience or unrealistic expectations are the problem.

I use my Qu-16 to stream live broadcast and to do professional recording for DVD and CD production. I do not do “crappy sound” and I use a Qu console.

You should be able to get professional results with the Qu. If not, look for the deficiency somewhere else in the chain. Do not blame good tools for shoddy work, my friend.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

What Dick said +1 😉

…..or the unlikely event you have a faulty mixer.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

QU sounds tons better than many of the huge analog desks I traveled on the road with for years. I would put it up against just about everyone of them and that is saying something.

FTR. I started out working with tube mixers in the 60’s.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

What goes in is perfect and sounds super with live work. But when recording it is like all depht is gone. Like there is a high pass filter active. I tried recording analog, digital, wave, mp3… With my old analog mixer I did hot have this problem. For recording I use a Tascam SS CDR200.

In this forum I have a topic about this problem but no one seems to have a solution.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

About the analyser: when music is played, the analyser does nog react. The bars aren’t moving.

Dick Rees
    Participant

What goes in is perfect and sounds super with live work. But when recording it is like all depht is gone. Like there is a high pass filter active. I tried recording analog, digital, wave, mp3… With my old analog mixer I did hot have this problem. For recording I use a Tascam SS CDR200.

Where in the chain are you monitoring the signal and with what?

With live work you have room sound in addition to the PA sound, so naturally you’ll have more complex time arrivals which I think you are referring to as “depth”. If the inputs are good enough to do a decent live mix, one would expect them to be OK for other purposes.

What do your channels sound like at

1. Channel PFL in your headphones?

2. Recorded track played back through the board?

Live sound is like grilling a steak. Recorded sound is like trying to turn hamburger into steak…or the cow. It is different.

You’ve given some opinions and observations, but no real hard info to help assess whether or not there IS a problem and what might be done to alleviate it.

Don’t blame the hammer if you hit your thumb with it…

robbocurry
    Participant

Having everything sound good live doesn’t equate to everything sounding good recorded.
    What you may be applying in eq and processing to enhance the live mix may be affecting your recordings.

Are you selecting channel PAFL when using RTA?

robbocurry
    Participant

Sorry Dick, must have been typing at the same time…

Dick Rees
    Participant

Sorry Dick, must have been typing at the same time…

That’s OK. We’re all just trying to figure out what’s being done wrong and how to fix it. Another case of “I bought a Stradivarius but it sounds like s***”, but I’ve never studied the fiddle…

Free Internet sound lessons here…if you can put up with the attendant sarcasm. I guess it’s not free after all…

robbocurry
    Participant

lol, true!

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

When recording or playing no EQ or filter is active. It is a midi track being played on a Tyros 4 and mixed out very well on a Tyros 4. When I record it straight to the Tascam, it sounds stays the same as the original. But I want to add some backing vocals and use it as a backing track played as wave or mp3 via the Tyros 4. So I use the Qu24 as a mixing console. Before I had this console, I used an old analog Midas mixing desk. With this analog console, when played back after recording the sound stayed the same as how the Tyros 4 sounds when played original. But now when recording with the digital Qu 24 it’s like the mixing desk cuts of all the depth. On the RTA you also can see the difference.

First someone told me there is too much of AD-DA conversion so I recorded via AES/Coax. No difference. All depth is gone when played back on the Tyros 4

I’m doing this for a long time and have a bit of experience so it’s not that I bought a Strad and don’t know how to play it.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

There is no hot on the QU unless you choose to put one in. With a 48k, 24bit sampling pattern there is also no discernible drop off in sound.

Can you post a couple of tracks?

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

I don’t know how to post tracks here, but I can sent them by mail if you want.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.