Routing to Phones + Mixes channel link

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Routing to Phones + Mixes channel link

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of unbreak
    unbreak
    Participant

Please, add this feature!
    I use the Qu-Pac for live performance with some band and I need to hear every mixes or groups on my headphone.
    Actually I use the PFL to do it but have limitations…

2nd suggestion:
    Add the possibility to link mix channel 1-2 and 3-4 as the other last three stereo mixes.

thank you so much!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

What is the limitation on PFL? It’s pretty configurable…

Profile photo of unbreak
    unbreak
    Participant

It’s true, but if you were a musician would you use the PFL for your in-ear monitors? I think no…
    This is my situation: I am drummer and sound engineer at the same time, as you can see on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXwQiPPlI8
    I use PFL to check other mixes of every musician but I have to listen the PA mix (without clik). To do this, I created a Group (or stereo mix) and it would be perfect to route this signal to the headphone jack without using the PFL…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…or use a stereo mix for PA and decide LR is our private monitor.

Profile photo of unbreak
    unbreak
    Participant

cannot hear the click in this way… unless you want to hear on the pa 🙂 I should hear both pfl (LR+Click) but I couldn’t adjust the click volume just on my headphone. Other musicians have click as well

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

PFL a matrix or patch it to a headphone amp if you use a separate one.

Put click in it – you’ll need a mix or group for click only to do this, and then don’t put click into your own mix.

Then either:

a) Use the “Matrix All Sends View” (9.9 in manual) to turn off/on whichever mix you want to hear.

b) If you have a second iOS device (your phone?) then the, brilliantly powerful, QU-Contol app will let you set “Matrix Send On/Off” buttons for each mix/group as a quick way of swapping from one to another as well as volume for the matrix out. On a second page you could set volumes for each mix into the matrix too.

Profile photo of unbreak
    unbreak
    Participant

That is what that I do at the moment but is not confortable when you are playing… regardless of the touch screen or IOS devices you use.
    I never said that it is not possible to listen to the different mix but it’s just not so easy, especially if you listen other mixes for any emergency while you’re playing…
    What that I ask is to have the same options of “Alt-Out” on the headphone.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Would copying the Alt-Out to the phones be sufficient?
    If you have a spare Stereo channel then that is easy enough

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

cannot hear the click in this way… unless you want to hear on the pa

If you don’t route the click to the output feeding your PA, you do not hear it.
    LR and a stereo Mix is technically the same, with the pure difference that LR is named LR not Mix with some hard coded routings.
    You do want to switch mix feeds to pre-fader in this configuration for sure.
    You’re totally free to route the click to LR but not to Mix (for example) 9-10, which feeds your PA.
    LR will get be “your” monitor mix, and using PAFL you easily can listen to anything else (including the PA mix).
    Every Mix/LR has it own set of volume control you are absolutely free to dial in different click volumes on any Mix/LR output.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you are using phones then you could AFL the mix, and PFL the Click…

Profile photo of unbreak
    unbreak
    Participant

I want to thank you all for every suggestion but I think that you guys aren’t focused on what is the problem. My english is poor, maybe I can’t explain better what is the real problem. I already tried all your suggestions that already knew. Believe me, I’m not a beginner. As a FOH engineer I use all main consolles and I know all routing possibilities, even of the Qu series but this problem it has nothing to do with this knowledge. Instead, as a drummer/foh engineer at the same time, it would be more simple with the same options as a Alt-Out. I know, I could use it with external phone amp but this output is already in use by bass player.
    I hope that this feature will be implemented. In meantime…my temporary solutions and your suggestions are all the same 🙂
    Thank you all

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

I think I grasp what you are suggesting. I am in exactly the same position being a drummer that also engineers the foh and uses iems and would like to do the same – essentially ‘properly’ route a mix to the headphone output.

The main issue with pfl or afl of a mix is the onboard meter then displays the pfl/afl level. I don’t want it to do that, I want it to carry on metering the main outs to the pa.

The issue with using, say, mix 9-10 for the pa, well, it’s kind of counter intuitive and, believe me, you want to avoid anything evenly vaguely confusing when trying to play drums reasonably well whilst making on the fly foh changes and mixing 5 band member’s iems including your own!

I would love a headphone setup page that allows you to ‘hard wire’ it to mixes (1-10) or main L/R (including a mono switch for channels 1-4 to tie L and R together). Then I can ditch the crappy headphone amp I use for my own iems.

Profile photo of piekniklux
    piekniklux
    Participant

HI

->I would love a headphone setup page that allows you to ‘hard wire’ it to mixes (1-10) or main L/R (including a mono switch for ->channels 1-4 to tie L and R together). Then I can ditch the crappy headphone amp I use for my own iems.

I have the same request, a setup page to select what will be routed to the phones would be great.

Regards

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

I am also playing piano + doing the mixing with the QU-PAC

I am using the qu phones out.

PAFL is in additive mode, and select pafl of the L&R + pafl the talkback mic plugged on the 16th track.

It is a bit complex to switch to listen to another mix

The true talkback mic is a problem, because I can’t decide the level for each aux. it’s a ON / OFF only !

Can you add a volume for each aux for the talkback mic? and maybe a noise gate on it? 🙂 and possibility to let it always ON

I would like to to convert the OUT 1 & 2 / 3 & 4 as 2 stereo mixes.

It is maybe more easy to do than converting the stereo mix to dual mono

unbreak you also have the AES out on the QU-PAC that you can use. I am searching a cheap AES to phones. But I only find cheap RCA SPDIF DAC

Is it possible to plug the AES out into a RCA SPDIF DAC??

If not, you can add this
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/behringer_ultramatch_pro_src_2496.htm

This will allow you to use the AES out and add a stereo phones output

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

Do you think this converted will be able to receive AES XLR to RCA ?

https://www.thomann.de/fr/swissonic_converter_da_24_96.htm

I have read that some sound card like RME etc… allows a simple cable converted to be used like this

https://www.thomann.de/be/neutrik_na2fpmf_xlr_femalecinch.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.