Routing single input to multiple channels + Ducker as a side-chain parallel comp

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Routing single input to multiple channels + Ducker as a side-chain parallel comp

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wilts Wilts 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hi,

Surprised I’m struggling with this one, but I’m a relative newcomer. I’m trying to route a single input to multiple faders. Seems to be simple on the face of it based upon the manual, but my changes on the Routing screen don’t seem to be taking effect. Any suggestions? Have tried with both Local (mic) and Qu-Drive sources.

The reason I ask is that I’d like to try and see if I can use the Ducker feature as a parallel compressor, driving the channel 1 ducker from Channel 2’s post-EQ direct output (I’m trying to tame some high band vocals without resorting to EQ’ing them out all the time). Anyone else have a similar problem and solution?

Thanks,
    Mike

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Local inputs (including QuDrive) are fixed, only inputs from a dSnake box may be fed to multiple channels.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

ah ok, thanks, any other suggestions?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Has to go via analogue unfortunately…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You can split the input INTO the desk using a simple XLRF>2XLRM Y-cable. As long as you’re going to burn a channel for the desired processing you might just as well do it right up front.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Very good point, no need to burn an output.

Care needed regarding things like phantom power…

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

Are we talking about de-essing here?

If so, why not use EQ on the original channel? You can set the filter quality as narrow as you want for that. I do it and it is fairly effective.

I’m not even sure how you would make that work with a ducker triggered from an identical channel anyway. I suppose you would need to filter out everything except for the “esses” on the trigger channel. But then, you would have already gone beyond the amount of EQing it would take to just tweak out the “esses” on the original channel in the first place.

Am I missing something?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Are we talking about de-essing here?

No, parallel compression. Not the same thing.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

Oh sorry.

The OP’s remark about “resorting to EQ’ing out high band vocals” let me to believe he was talking about de-essing.

Disregard then.

Profile photo of PointMan
    PointMan
    Participant

I had the same question too, about routing a single mic to two different channels, but for a different reason. We have two (sometimes three) different lead vocals but they’re all using one mic. I would like to apply different EQ and dynamics, even gain settings, but it sounds like I can’t do it. I guess I’ll have to buy those Y cables. Another newbie question, how do these Y cables work? Do they affect the signal going into the board?

Also, once I have them hooked up to two channels with different EQ, etc., do I just mute the channel that I don’t need and unmute the other and vice versa, when the lead vox switches? Thank you.

Profile photo of Wilts
    Wilts
    Participant

You could always save a separate scene or a just a channel library and switch that for each vocalist.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.