Routing questions SQ5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Routing questions SQ5

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of collider collider 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mr. Badlands
    Mr. Badlands
    Participant

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding using the SQ5 as a studio set up.
    I would like to implement the following workflow:

A) playing audio from DAW to the mixer and do processing in the mixer -> transport the processed audio back to the DAW and record it. How many channels are possible via USB? How many channels are possible via WAVES/DANTE card?

B) using the mixer as a DAW controller -> I know that in that case no audio can pass the mixer. Which DAW works best? I mainly use LOGIC!

Ç) playing music from the DAW and record simultaneously from the SQ to DAW

Are there any limitations regarding my descriptions?

Thanks

Profile photo of Mr. Badlands
    Mr. Badlands
    Participant

Maybe the Q Drive can support with my workflow?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

How many channels are possible via USB?

Have a look at the current reference manual (page 94 will give you the answer with all the details and limitations).

How many channels are possible via WAVES/DANTE card?

Here, the product pages of the Dante card and Waves card might be helpful to give you needed answers.

using the mixer as a DAW controller -> I know that in that case no audio can pass the mixer.

That’s not true, the mixer can pass audio, only the fader on a layer where midi faders are assigned to are not controlling audio. but the mixer and its mix engine will still work as before.
    I don’t know which DAW will work the best in combination with the SQ, since I do not use my SQ as DAW controller at all.

playing music from the DAW and record simultaneously from the SQ to DAW

Yes, the maximum number of signals which can be sent in the one or the other direction. Dante has one feature (for waves I do not know) which might be helpful for you. you can route in the Dante network your signals not only from one source, e.g the SQ, to one target, e.g your computer, but you can do it many to many. So you can use for instance one computer which runs your DAW and another which acts as a Plugin host. This is not possible when using USB.

One last advise: Maybe you should have a real deep look at all the documentation provided by A&H on their web site. That will help you to find the right answers on your own quickly, once you know the content of that documents.

Profile photo of collider
    collider
    Participant

The most reliable setup in the case is with two computers and Dante, really. Recorded several performances in multitrack, no issues. I tried other various combinations, but none was close to Dante solution (can’t say for Waves though).
    I’d really hesitate to playback something from DAW and simultaneously record to the same DAW because of performance and a possibility that something may go off, especially with Logic (10.4+), which was incapable to record more than 10 tracks at a time (tried different computers, different disks, no luck). In the meantime, the same machine (as small as MacBook Air 2015) hosting Live, or Reaper, or Cubase, if you will, can do multitrack recording in DAW flawlessly up to 32 tracks for sure, verified.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.