Routing Question…. Pre or Post?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Routing Question…. Pre or Post?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr. J Dr. J 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Hi fellas – I am using an external effects unit on the qu-32. I have the effects going out of the qu-32 on Aux Mix 9-10 (only 9 actually). From there into effects unit and then out of effects into channel 31-32 on the Qu.

Now let me direct you to the screen settings in question… Go to TOP Layer, Select Mix 9-10 Master, then push ROUTING (green button next to screen)

It is this screen I have questions…

Mix Send Settings:

Assign: All on or All off…. I have ALL ON.
    Pre-Fade: All Pre or All Post? I currently have it set to Pre BUT wonder if it should be set to Post? It definitely changes how the effects act.

Channel Source: Post-Preamp, Pre-Eq, Post-Eq and Post All – I currently have it set to Post all…

So I have it narrowed down to Two questionable settings… On Pre-fade – should it be set to All Pre or All Post?

Then on Channel Source – well I think it should be Post All??

Please help me to understand the menu a little better… My last mixer was Pre & Post so it was more obvious.

Thanks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Post fade is normal for effects sends, so that the effects level stays the same in relation to the channel.

That’s not to say that you should never run pre fade – there can be times when you my want to turn down a channel but leave the effect there – not not very often.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks Mark for the quick response. I know effects are generally used POST fader. The only time I go Pre is with a loud snare or toms that I cannot justify placing in the PA due to them being so loud. So I will set the effect to Pre so some of the effect will still come through even though the drums are out of the PA.

I appreciate the response but I am looking for more detail… Would you be so kind to look at my question again and let me know what you think of the questions in the configuration settings?

Ok…. Pre fade: All Pre or All Post? I have been unknowingly running this in Pre mode which is probably why the effect was so hard to control…. I now have it in POST. if I pull the main vocal fader down I no longer hear the effect like I did in PRE mode. I am certain this is set correct now.

Ok so what about “Channel Source” – there are many options… I could go with Post Eq or I could go Post all….. Where should this be set?

There is some redundancy with this board that I haven’t learn it all yet…. For example… Changing things on the surface and also being able to change thing inside the menu…

Thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I would say “post all”
    but I would also limit the channels with that mix enabled to those you actually care about – and certainly disable 31/32.

As a question – why burn two ‘main’ channels when you could use one of the ST returns?

As a second point – IIRC the ALT-Out (or a stagebox) output can have the FX mixes directed at them, so you could use an FX mix bus, retaining more mix outputs. I assume you aren’t short on channels or mixes – so this is probably not of concern for you – but it might be nice for someone googling later…

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Bob…
    This is what I have come up with. The Pre-Fade: All Pre and All Post should be set to ALL POST Fader – if I want the effects to track correctly.

I confirm that it is working by pulling down the fader that the dry signal is on and sure enough – the effect goes away. In the Pre mode – the direct signal goes away but the effect “wet” signal is still coming through….

This is the way that effects should be used (Post Fader) but like I said earlier – this board has so many menus and options that it isn’t as easy as just pushing the POST button on the Aux like my last board.

Now – there is the “Channel Source” option on the screen as well. If I set it to ALL POST” but the All-Pre mode is set to “Pre” – it doesn’t take the wet signal away when the dry signal is pulled down…. So it is leading me to think that maybe the Channel Source Option could be for effects you insert directly onto a channel….. Idk….

I have read the manual but like most manuals – they make a lot of sense when you have already mastered the equipment.

I use 31-32 just because I have plenty of channels and it is on my main working surface… Easy to mute or pull down…. Easy to increase wet signal for longer throws….etc…. But like you say – I could move it over to one of the “St” options.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.