Routing/patching control in MixPad iOS.(a la SQ)

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Routing/patching control in MixPad iOS.(a la SQ)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of davidgiga1993 davidgiga1993 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Phil
    Phil
    Participant

Hey folks! So we just bought an Avantis, a big upgrade from our SQ-5. Definitely loving it but I’m missing the high-level control I had with the SQ MixPad iOS app – specifically the routing/patching/IO page. Sometimes I’m on stage and need to repatch something quickly, and I hate having to run all the way back to the board and then back again to do it within the Avantis. Anyone have any solutions, or possible updates on if/when this will be added in?
    It was the same sort of situation with our old GLD MixPad and it was the worst – kind of heartbreaking to see the newest MixPad still missing that functionality. Any thoughts? A&H, you can consider this a feature suggestion 🙂

Thanks all!

– Phil

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

I have the same issue.
    The current answer is: You can run the director software on a laptop or desktop on stage, this allows you to fully control the Avantis.

This is a workaround we’ll be using until they add full patching to the mixpad app or bring Director to the iPad (Pro). It’s not perfect but it’ll do. We’ll just put a laptop on stage.

It’s a weird thing because input patching is one of THE core functions I’d like to perform while I’m walking around on stage and this will now be our second professional mixing console by an A brand who won’t allow me to do it from the iPad app.
    Apparently I’m super weird. 😀

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

Here’s my feature suggestion for it:

Input select or IO patch on MixPad

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The official answer from A&H is going to be that the Director software is the official means to control 100% of the console’s functionality. The iPad app is a secondary control device and will not have the same level of control. The iPad app for the SQ and QU series is more full featured because those consoles do not have a Director software option. Therefore the iPad app has to have the added functionality. There has been no hint from A&H that they are going to change their position on this. While you should definitely tell A&H how you feel (because they do listen to user feedback), you probably need to make other plans and not wait for this type of update.

Personally I use a 13″ Windows 2in1 laptop that has replaced my tablet for this functionality. The 13″ size is a perfect tablet replacement IMHO and I actually routinely mix entire shows using that computer (at a church where the FOH position is outside of the speaker coverage area). A 15″ would be too heavy to hold/carry around for long periods of time.

Profile photo of Phil
    Phil
    Participant

Thanks for all the info guys! I think a Windows tablet is in my future.

Profile photo of davidgiga1993
    davidgiga1993
    Participant

The Mixing Station app has avantis support currently in its beta phase but already allows routing of all input channels (see screenshot).
    If you want you can join the beta and test it out:

https://mixingstation.app/

Details on how to join the beta:
    https://mixingstation.app/ms-docs/beta/

Note: Mixing Station will also support Dyn8 and FX control with future updates

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.