routing matrix to an output

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions routing matrix to an output

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dean Dean 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I’m hoping someone can help with this. I can’t figure out how to route a matrix to one or any of the outputs on a Qu-Pac.

I routed the main out to both matrices on the Qu-Pac without any trouble and I see good signal on the matrix meters. I have been through every menu item looking for how to send the matrices to physical outputs. I got to the point where I was just randomly changing any routing with the ipad and the Qu-Pac screen hoping I would stumble on something (saving the configuration so I could go back anytime). The only help I’ve found was on internally routing the mains to a matrix which I had already done.

As a note, the Qu-Pac is connected by slink to an SQ6 that serves as the master mixer so an independent mix can be made in the Qu-Pac room. All of the works well.

I think there is a routing problem where the Qu-Pac’s outs (except for the mains 11+12) are not connected due to routing from the SQ6. I haven’t been able to find what I need in the manual either. Please forgive me if I’ve overlooked it staring me in the face! It has happened before.

I own an SQ5 and the routing is easy and intuitive. I’m not finding the same with the Qu-Pac.

Thanks, Dean

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have a QU Pac as well.
    Unless you are using a stage box connected to the QU Pac the only outputs on the QU Pac
    surface that you can route a matrix to is the ALT OUT and or the AES digital out.
    Go into to IO set up menu, surface tab and select form the scrolling menu.

If you have a stage box connected any those outputs can be assigned to any mix out in any
    combination.
    Set up in the IO menu as well.

Selecting the routing is not much different between the two boards either on the surfaces or with an iPad.
    For what it’s worth I generally like the iPad menus better.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

Thanks Mike. That is helpful. I have one more question…What are the matrices for if I can’t assign them to a physical out? I guess assigning alt out to a matrix can give me some processing options over the present alt out simply assigned to the main mix but that’s all I can think of.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are the matrices for if I can’t assign them to a physical out? I guess assigning alt out to a matrix can give me some processing options over the present alt out simply assigned to the main mix but that’s all I can think of.

The ALT OUT and AES out on any QU can be any of the available mix outs.
    By default out of the box they are set to L R main.
    On the QU 24 and 32 there are dedicated matrix outputs.

For what it’s worth for my main system I normally use the AES out to feed directly into
    the system digital processor.

A matrix mix can be built from a combination of all of mixers mix outputs to create a custom mix if needed to send to another speaker zone, recording ect.

To do stereo board mixes for example I use a matrix out pulled pre fade from the main LR mix routed to the QU Drive. That gives some independent level control and processing for a standard stereo board mix.

I have the matrix outs many times to feed delay or fill speaker zones to allow for processing and or delay feeding those zones.
    What mix or mixes I bring up in the matrix depends on the given need.

I actually had a live sound job for a 4th Of July event last night (one of the very few since Covid hit!) and I used both matrix mixes to the feed independent delay fill zones.
    In that case one matrix mix was assigned to the ALT OUT feeding a wireless link to a remote zone and the other matrix mix was assigned to an output on the stage box the was feeding a second fill zone behind the stage.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

OK. Thanks again Mike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.