Routing FX Pedals

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Routing FX Pedals

This topic contains 37 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Sorry i’m new to the world of mixing desks, so please forgive me.

What i’m trying to do is like what Andreas mentioned.

“Feeding to a (stereo) Mix output and back into the Stereo inputs should be the best way to go.
    Using a Mix is exactly the same like using a FX bus or LR, you probably want to set the channels to post-fader, so if you turn down the LR fader, no signal will be sent to your Mix output as well.”

Now, my mix outputs (5/6) are going out into the L&R input of the H9. From there they are leaving the two outputs abd coming back into the desk through ST1 L&R.

I can see signal levels in the H9, it was peaking at one point so I know something is happening. I candouble confirm this as I can the H9 apps signal level monitor shows activity. I just can’t hear anything.

What I want to achieve is get the H9 effect available on all 32 channels of the QU32.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

OK, so select the ST1 channel strip (and PFL it) – is any signal getting to that?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

OK, cowboys and cowfraus, let’s round up these dogies and brand ’em!

Cantona…

Here is a list of things you must know and verify:

1. Do you know where the ASSIGNMENT button is, what it is and how to use it? If not, you must.

2. Do you know what PFL and AFL are, how to access them and their function?

3. Is the SIGNAL LEVEL at each stage set to the proper level?

Are all the stages within the mixer TURNED ON?

OK.

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS:

If you’re showing signal within your device and are poitive it is outputting the signal to ST1, PFL ST1 and verify with both metering and headphones that you have incoming signal. To do this you must properly set your INPUT GAIN on ST1 for the signal to go further. Also, the ST1 must be ON and ASSIGNED to the desired bus, in this case mains L/R.

So…

Know and understand items 1, 2 and 3. Use this knowledge to CHECK AND VERIFY signal presence and level at each stage of the signal chain.

If this does not work, either your equipment is faulty or you’re missing or mis-understanding something. Guess which is most common…

Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Ok, seem to be getting something now but sound is isn’t great, slightly delayed and peaking the H9.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Go back and read the two posts previous to your latest. Chances are if you’re peaking on your device ouut you haven’t set the input gain for ST1.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Turn down the send to the H9

Dick Rees
    Participant

Edit my above post:

If you’re peaking your output send on your device, turn it down or, as Mark notes, turn down your send from the board until the level THROUGH the device is where it should be. Reference my long post.

Now…PFL ST1 and set the channel input gain.

And yes, you will experience 2.6 MS delay from the AD/DA/AD/DA/AD/DA conversions…possibly more.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Page 12 of your device user manual. You should check this as well.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Thank you for your help here, it seems to be working. I will tweak it a little more tomorrow.

I also have another H9 that I plan to add into the mix so if I end up using Mix 7/8 going into ST2 what would happen if I wanted to go one step further and use the outputs of my Analog RYTM drum machine into the desk in order to use the RYTM distortion and compressor. Where would I go about plugging this into the desk if I have already used the ST2 inputs?

Dick Rees
    Participant

Ah, ah…

No more help until you ‘fess up about what was at fault! 😉

Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Dick! My fault, I probably should have realised the ST1 layer volume fader was not turned up!

That was really the only issue along with the signal levels, but I knew it was trial and error to get that to set that. I need to do a little more tomorrow and hopefully I won’t need to set it again 🙂

‘Fess over

Dick Rees
    Participant

As my mechanic says, “Your problem is a loose nut behind the wheel!”

It would seem you’ve got all your inputs “plugged up”, so you either have to decide if you can sacrifice anything down to mono to save channels or add a sub-mixer or two to combine multiple sources into a pair of inputs.

Got any small analog mix pads laying around?

Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Definitely a loose nut Dick, I think possibly more than a few with years of disco biscuit abuse 🙂

Most line inputs are fully loaded mate, I think I do have a couple spare tho, how would you approach it if you were in my sitation? The main RYTM outputs are TRS jacks out.

I may just leave one H9 connected instead of two then just go RYTM direct into ST2 for ease tho.

Dick Rees
    Participant

You could use a pair of channels linked and panned to get another “stereo” input, or go the subb-mixer route.

Profile photo of cantona
    cantona
    Participant

Ok, thanks Dick.

No other way around it apart from sub mixer route if I wanted to set this up in order to use on all 32 channels?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.