Routing from ProTools back to Mix/Bus

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Routing from ProTools back to Mix/Bus

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SaintsFan SaintsFan 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SaintsFan
    SaintsFan
    Participant

My church is church recording it’s live services in ProTools with the built in usb interface on the QU-32 mixer. However, we now want to mix our live broadcast mix in the DAW (ProTools) and the route back to our mixer (QU-32) and then to our Blackmajic switcher with XLR cables as we do now. We currently have a dedicated mix/bus (9-8) for to our broadcast mix. How do I get the the usb stream audio into mix 8-9? Thanks in advance for your support and I apologize if this has been covered in another thread. I couldn’t find anything specifically addressing this issue.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SaintsFan

Why?
    You could mix in the Qu and send the mix to the switcher gear, much easier.
    PT will not add anything useful for livestreaming.

It would seem easier to send the mix to a pc (PT optional first if you could then send it directly on to the livestream)
    and then diddle and relay to the livestream out. Anyway that was easier for us (and without any DAW added in the chain)

What does the usb have you dont already have mixed on the Qu?
    Do you really need that for the low quality audio heard on home pcs with livestreaming?

Mix 89 does not compute. You have mono 1 2 3 4 and stereo 56 78 910 for mix outs.

I do not think you can record from the usb and also send it back via usb.
    You could record on usb and mix then send that back to a stereo pair and on to the mix which goes to the livestream.

You might need to adjust delays to avoid problems if you did that.
    But why send it back to the Qu at all? Why not just send it on to the livestream gear.

SaintsFan
    Participant

@volunteer

Thanks for the response. We are currently routing directly to our switcher and then ti our streaming computer and our Broadcast mix sounds good. However, we are trying to take it to the next level and Protools allows for drum replacement plugins, vocal tuning etc.

My only question is… how do I get the audio (Back) from my computer that is ruining ProTools to my mix/bus on the QU-32?

There are people selling broadcast templets for Broadcast mixes and this is how they suggest you do it. I’m just trying to figure out how to do it on a QU-32.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SaintsFan

As I think I see how your configuration is set up, you can not do that.
    AFAIK the usb is one way.

If you want to send it back after mixing in the PC then return your diddled version to a stereo pair that goes to the Qu mix and then out to the livestream gear.

Personally I do think you are needlessly complicating this for an alleged benefit that does not exist certainly when you consider how people will listen to this on pcs. If it is really for autotune then you need new singers more than PT:)

I suppose if you really want to spend the money you could get another Qu32 and use that usb channel to send the PC mix back to the Qu to relay to the streaming. But why not just send from your PT PC to the streaming gear without that extra step. If you send it back you will have to sync all the delays you added before returning the PT mix.

SaintsFan
    Participant

@volunteer

How do I complete the statement below? I want to understand how to return the dibbled version to stereo pair (mix 9-10) on the mixer.

If you want to send it back after mixing in the PC then return your diddled version to a stereo pair that goes to the Qu mix and then out to the livestream gear.

How would you suggest I do this? I know a interface is one option but I would need to purchase that.

But why not just send from your PT PC to the streaming gear without that extra step. If you send it back you will have to sync all the delays you added before returning the PT mix.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The USB B connector on the back of the mix can send and receive audio.
    In the pre amp input set up you can select the incoming track or tracks
    and assign them to a mixer input.

I’m guessing you are just wanting to send a master LR mix from pro tools
    back into the mixer.
    Once it is routed to a channel just do you normal channel mix routing to send
    it to broadcast.

SaintsFan
    Participant

@ Mike C

This is exactly what I’m trying to do. How do I accomplish this? I know this seem like an easy task but it is stomping me.

I saw that option for selecting the incoming source on the main mix (FOH) but not on my mix dedicated for broadcast.

Any help is appreciated.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

READ THE MANUAL or watch tutorials

first of all you have to find out how the mixer is working and the difference between inputs and mixes…
    if you don’t do that we will explain things again and again and you still have no clue what we are talking

all things you are asked are like an every weeks question from somebody
    who was not reading the manual or at least watched some basic video tutorials on the QU

it takes 10min and clarifies a lot of things

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I believe you simply assign your master out bus in Protools to 2 usb channels such as 31/32, assign only channels 31/32 to your 9/10 mix in your qu and set channels 31/32 to usb source. Also, link 31/32 as stereo pairs.

SaintsFan
    Participant

@garyh
    @mike c

Thanks for the helpful advice. I now understand what you are saying. I need the assign the mix from ProTools to a two input in the mixer. I was trying to figure out if there was a way that would avoid occupying two inputs but i guess the answer in no.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.