Routing audio from GS-R24 mixer to OBS streaming software

Forums Forums Other A&H products Routing audio from GS-R24 mixer to OBS streaming software

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Don Richmond
    Don Richmond
    Participant

Hello A&H folks – Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience getting audio from the A&H GS-R24 mixer (with firewire back end card) to show up in the OBS streaming software. I can choose the A&H driver as the source, but no audio shows up. Don’t see any way to choose which stereo pair the OBS software is referencing, and don’t know of any sort of software routing mixer or control panel that runs between the A&H driver and other software. My usual DAW software (Logic) works flawlessly – have never had a problem addressing the mixer. Running Mac OS Catalina on a Mac Pro (flowerpot version). Any help would be lovely – thank you!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

as far as I remember OBS can use the first stereo pair only

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not sure exactly how the outputs tracks are set up on a R24 but as Steffen said OBS
    only picks the first two tracks/channels.

Don Richmond
    Participant

Thanks Steffens and Mike – I was thinking that was probably the case, so I ran a Mike into channel 1 to see if it showed up on the OBS meters, but got nothing. Of course, I would like for OBS to be seeing outputs 31 and 32, being the stereo out of the mixer, but I could probably figure out a way to physically patch the mixer so that the snaking stereo out was feeding back into channels 1 and 2. But I can’t see any input on OBS from them either. Wondering if I need some kind of other software running in between to be able to digitally patch things around and make signal show up in OBS. Out of my depth I’m afraid. I’m thinking I may buy a small 2 or 4 output interface (Focusrite etc) and just patch the analog out from the GS-R24 into that. I can wrap my head around that solution anyway, but would love to just get the GS-R24 to work. Thanks again for your input – I’ll keep Messing with it.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@donrichmond

Did not find it in the OBS documentation such as it is being groupware, but I do believe that *IF* OBS can see your firewire then it would only be channel 1,2.

Worst case you could take a mix into an audio interface like presonus and get it into OBS that way.

Don Richmond
    Participant

Thanks volounteer – I’m thinking that may be the simplest solution. OBS is definitely not seeing outputs 1 and 2 – I have run a mic into Channel 1 and brought it up to see if it registers in OBS, and it does not. And I may find some use for an extra little interface beyond this application – who knows? Thanks to all for your thoughts and input – much appreciated! Happy New Year to all!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@donrichmond

We use the presonus interface.
    It works.

We are looking at going to usbB and hope we can see channel 1,2 in OBS.
    I do not use OBS only read about it, but our video team does use it and requested the usbB if we could do it.
    We can do it on the Qu side to send via usbB , and will set it up for them after the MD is out of the hospital.

Now, whether they (vid team) can use it on the PC/opsys/driver/connector side is still TBD.

From what I read, I wonder if OBS might have some unobvious places to tweak additional settings so you can see channel 1,2.
    I would expect it to be under View/audio but could be under some other screens too.

SteffenR
    Participant

can you make the R24 as standard windows audio device?
    Then normally OBS should pick it automatically…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just to double check is OBS even seeing the mixer as a USB audio device?

With QU’s connected via USB they show right up as a USB audio device
    in OBS.

SteffenR
    Participant

Firewire… we talk about Firewire…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Firewire… we talk about Firewire…

You got me, I seem to have glanced over that in the initial post!!!

Don Richmond
    Participant

Thanks all! Steffen R – not sure what that means to make the mixer appear as a Windows audio device. I’m running a Mac, but would be happy to do whatever might help. Thanks –

SteffenR
    Participant

I’m running a Mac

now you got me… 😀

I assume the mixer works with the Mac flawless?
    Maybe a aggregated device could help.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Ok I just did a little OBS with Firewire audio capture research and there seems to
    be a lot of post where people are having issues.
    Using an aggregated device was one of the work arounds I took a quick look at.

An external USB audio will get you there as well.

Profile photo of Ro
    Ro
    Participant

@Don Richmond, you are successfully using Catalina with your GSR34M?

I have just got me a GsR24M and I have purchased a Mac mini with Catalina OS.

Did you run Sierra before and then installed the A&H latest software before upgrading to Catalina?

I am concerned my GS + Mac mini will not work with Catalina, since I cannot go back to High Sierra to install the A&H software…

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.