route LR to MIX output

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions route LR to MIX output

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of s-light
    s-light
    Participant

Hello Community,

last two days i worked at a ‘conference’ with an Qu 16.
    it was the first time i worked with an QU-16. amazing how ‘intuitive’ the main things are 🙂 –> @UI-Designers: good job!

shortly before the event started there came some extra wishes: the live-camera wanted an extra output from the main mix.
    i had no splitter at hand so i checked in the user manual and found out how to use the mix functions.
    i just put all channel faders that were used up to 0db for Mix1 and was happy (after i found that i hade to unmoute the Mix1 Master 😉 )

today i have found a forum post with similar instructions at:

Three outputs on QU 16

i did not set the channel faders to post.. (but for me in this situation was not a big deal…)

but mi first thougth on this was ‘How is it possible to just route the LR master stereo mix PRE LR-FADER to the MIX1… Outputs?’
    i also tried the RL-ALT output but this one is POST LR-Fader it seems.

so now i have some time to register and ask the question here if this is possible at all 😉 ?
    for me it ‘sounds’ logical that in this ‘nice digital world’ it should be possible to do this 😉
    but i did not find a way in the hurry..

sunny greetings
    stefan

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You would have to use the ALT Outs, go to the set up menu IO selection screen, surface menu and from there you can select the source that feeds the ALT out, LR pre is one of the selections, if needed you can also select the source for the AES out.

Maybe building a recording feed mix in the matrix mixer section would work for you as well, then the matrix mix can feed the ALT out.

Doing what you did by using an unused mix normally in post fade work as well and gives
    you the option to build a custom mix for the recording feed.

If you connect a stage box to the mixer all of the outputs on the stage box are fully patchable via the IO selection menu.

You mentioned you were using the mixer for a conference, the QU series has a very usable automatic mic mixer built in. It is under the set up / audio menu, the tab is AMM. If it was a conference with a few mics at discussion panel table type of set up I would give it a try. I only may use the AMM function a few times a year but when I do it works great for my needs. It’s not a gated type of auto mixer but a gain sharing auto mixer and it sounds very natural.

Profile photo of s-light
    s-light
    Participant

Thanks Mike C for your explanation!

i think i would use the MIX out variant next time again (checking that i really have the POST fader mode enabled 😉 ) as i got the requests to feed up to 4 cameras/press-people and the ALT-OUT is only one – but i have up to ~10Mix OUTput connectors available on board (have not checked if i can split the stereo ones up into mono mixes…)

the AMM i will try the next time i have a chance to 😉

thanks for answering!

sunny greetings
    stefan

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

No matrices on the QU16, so you need the alt out as LR – pre or post is selectable internally.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Since we are talking about feeding a camera mix….
    although slightly different approach
    Is there anyone feeding USB into an iPad Pro using an app called FiLMic Pro?
    Ive managed to get it going [recording audio from QU] but only from USB channel 1 and then its mono. Left ear!
    I changed the sends on the QU to all read USB1 which means I can get some sort of a mix happening.
    It would have been perfect to turn the L & R outputs to channel USB 1 but that didnt work either.
    Anyhow..
    This was just a jump the topic que request as its to do with feeding a cam mix.

CHeers and thanks.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@nzdave,

Interesting, I use Filmic Pro all the time on my iPhone SE, but rather than use the internal mics I use a Shure MV88 condenser microphone that plugs into the lightening port. Excellent for recording live music to podcasts. But never thought of trying to take the sound direct from the QU.

Cheers

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sorry about the false info on QU16’s having matrix mixes, For reference I normally use a QU-Pac or a QU-32.

The stereo mix outs can not be split apart to mono, however if your using a stereo mix
    and everything is panned to the center the stereo mix outs could be thought of a dual mono out with on side feeding one recording and the other side feeding another.

If your multiple camera and press people can all live with the same mix I would look at
    getting a press feed distribution box, you feed the box with one line level signal and it
    splits it to multiple transformer isolated mic level outputs. You set it up in the area
    where the press is and just let them plug in.
    The transformer isolation is a very good thing it will all but eliminate any possible ground loop problems for the connected equipment and you do not need to worry about phantom power feeding back into your mixers outputs from cameras and recorders that have the phantom power still turned on their XLR inputs.

Here’s an example of Whirwind passive press boxes, I have the small 6 channel model, thats plenty for the press type events I do.

Whirlwind Press Boxes

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Or, if this is not something you do that often, then get an AR84 (or AB168, AR2412) which can have the same signal going to all of it’s outputs for this job.
    More money, per output, but will have many other uses too.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

There are other options short of a proper press box. I use either a rack-mountable Rane “Swiss Army” line mixer/splitter (power required)

https://www.rane.com/sm26s.html

or most often one or more Eb Tech HE-2-XLR boxes (passive).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535379-REG/Ebtech_HE_2XLR_HE_2_XLR_Dual_Channel.html#!

Additionally, AES > SPDIF boxes are available if the odd request uses SPDIF inputs. I picked one up for $10 at a swap meet on the off chance that it would come in handy. It has.

Profile photo of crizdee
    crizdee
    Participant

Hi,

I use the 2TRK outputs to feed videogrophers. it just replocates the left/right. they can usually control the level their end, most i work with have the zoom stereo recorder or a wireless transmitter so have a couple of balaned 1/4 jack to XLR for this purpose.

I use the ALT out to feed IEM’s for FOH engineer and ALT set to PAFL so i can listen to anyone’s mix in the engineers In-Ears

Chris

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I always use transformer isolation between mixer and camera. While it may not happen every time, cameras and/or other systems can and will on occasion induce noise back into the board due to power supply noise (camera) or difference in ground potential between mixer and secondary system.

Better safe than sorry…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.