Route FOH mix through a monitor mix on Qu16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Route FOH mix through a monitor mix on Qu16

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of No1Guvnor
    No1Guvnor
    Participant

Is it possible to route the FOH mix through a monitor mix so I can mix from stage?
    I know it can be done through the matrix outputs on the Qu24 but there’s none on the Qu16 so what’s the alternative if there is one? I have a 2-piece band, keyboards And Guitar & keyboard, with bass and drums on a track. I set the sound with the iPad every night so it’s just more or less a matter of making sure levels are OK during the night and I can hear what’s going out FOH through the monitors. Thx in advance.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I will attempt to answer this without being at our console and having just a small amount of experience with remote control of our QU32. I have used an iPad and an Android phone with the QU32. From your question, I assume that you are trying to use a smartphone running QUYou, because that dos not appear to give you control of the LR Main fader.

The LR mix is available on the iPad app, so one answer is to get an iPad. If cost is a factor, find a used one. There is also an app called Mixing Station QU that can be used on Android devices. Free and paid versions are available. So another solution might be to get an inexpensive Android tablet for remote control of the QU16. The free version of MixingStation QU should meet your needs.

Profile photo of Keef
    Keef
    Participant

The Qu-Control App is also worth investigating.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

All of the above is true. However, unless I’m reading it wrong, I don’t think it is what the OP asked for!

Getting the same mix as FOH through a monitor on a Qu-16: Couple of options come to mind….

Any mix with all sends Post fade & all faders at 0dB should be the same as FOH.

The Alt out can be the same mix as FOH (and will be by default). It can also be 2 mono mixes of L+R which may be more useful.

Just keep in mind that what it sounds like through a monitor on stage will probably never be exactly what the audience are hearing, and sometimes the differences can be huge. Even if your monitor speaker is identical to the FOH, you’re going to be closer, and probably at a very different angle to the guitar and keyboard amps for a start.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I agree with Mark. It can be done, but there will always be a difference between what you hear from a monitor and what it sounds like out front. I suspect a long learning time to get any substantial benefit and of course it will always be better mixed from out in the room.

But it’s certainly worth a try.

Profile photo of No1Guvnor
    No1Guvnor
    Participant

Many thx guys for your reply. Mark & Dick exactly what I’m after. I understand that the mix won’t be the same as FOH but it’s more or less just to keep an eye on levels. I’ll get on it at the weekend Mark. Many thx again.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

it’s more or less just to keep an eye on levels.

Speaking of which…

You can easily learn to visually confirm relative levels within your mix by using the meter section of the HOME screen on your mixer or iPad. Basic usage would be to keep solo or lead components one or two led’s above the backing/comp channels. With no more…and possibly less…time spent learning, I think you can get a handle on things and keeping the number of speakers outputting sound into the room to a minimum will give better room sound over-all. Myself, I dislike monitors for this reason. They make mud by introducing more and more complex time arrival of the desired sounds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.