Rookie QU16 Questions – vocal fx routing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Rookie QU16 Questions – vocal fx routing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 67 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

Mike C, all I can figure out … as I can’t get any FX returned to LR on any mix with those faders down as illustrated in the photos, is that the ‘FX Sends’ are going prefader to L-R and the Mixes.

Is this what you’ve been trying to explain to me?

And if so, then all I need do select Fx1 and FX2 respectively and change the Fader Send on the Upper Level to pre on those channels?

Regardless, it still seems a 6 of one, half-dozen of another proposition as all functions perfectly as I’ve outlined in the steps above.

Actually I see a draw back to setting up pre fade because any time I wanted to use one of the Mixes for FX3 or FX4 I’d have to be careful to go back and reset the pre fade to post fade … whereas with all post fade I’d never worry about that feedback loop.

But, please … elucidate me.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The FX send master faders set the overall level of the signal going into the FX unit, those do need to be up.

The FX return faders set the level of the FX “mixing” back into the main LR or any of the other mixes if needed.

FX sends from the input channels are normally set to post fade so that level changes on the channel fader will track same with the level driving the FX so the FX mix wet to dry ratio stays the same.

Have you even set up an external FX unit on an analog mixer?

Do you know has any one messed with the FX input output patching menu for the back of the FX units in the mixer? In that menu it is possible re route where the FX gets it’s signal from and sends it’s output to.

Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

@ Mike C … my last post. 🙂

You said: “Do you know has any one messed with the FX input output patching menu for the back of the FX units in the mixer? ”

Did you read my steps above? Did you find any error in my instruction of using the FX input output patching menu? Have I said I’ve had any problem getting FX signal working properly with respect to the patching?

The only thing I brought up in my last post you didn’t bother to address: sending pre fade from the FX Auxes to the Main and other Mixes.

Thanks anyway.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If it was patched incorrectly you would not get any FX no matter what you tried……

The FX auxes/mixes do not directly control what FX comes out of the LR mains. That is controlled by the FX returns, their levels and making sure they are assigned to ON for the LR mix.

Post a couple pictures of your FX routing screen or the FX screen on the ipad app.

Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

LMAO

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

And your laughing your ass why?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Actually I see a draw back to setting up pre fade because any time I wanted to use one of the Mixes for FX3 or FX4 I’d have to be careful to go back and reset the pre fade to post fade … whereas with all post fade I’d never worry about that feedback loop.

The feedback look is only created if the mix feeding the FX is turned on/assigned on the same FX that it is feeding and if you turn up that FX return send on the mix that is feeding it.

My default reset has all the FX mix sends turned off on all of the FX returns.

FX 3 and 4 on a QU 16 have to be set and assigned a mix input send and a return channel.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

DFT Thank you for your in depth tutorial!!!!!

I do get effects on the monitors… I just have one snag however.
    After setting up the 1st Mix1/Voc1 with a bit of reverb, I muted Mix1_Master so that I could setup and listen to the Mix2/Voc2 and do the same. (See board complete setup below)

All is good however this is where the snag came in…

I Muted the Mix2/Voc2 Master and WHAT? I could hear just the processed Reverb effect of Voc2 IN Mix1… Not the voice signal, just the process signal.
    I then Muted Mix1/Voc1 Master and again WHAT? I could hear just the processed Reverb effect of Voc1 in Mix2… Not the voice signal, just the processed signal.

>>> I’m sure that I’m mission the tiniest piece of the puzzle, but I’m stumped STUMPED… UGG <<<

This board is so clean it just bugs me that the feedback loop or whatever is adding noise to a live show when there is so much going on. Stuff like this accumulates and suddenly things are feeding back and muddied.

Thank you so much for any incite or direction in advance… Will really be appreciated.

Current Settings

LL – LR -> (Ch1 = Voc1 Input) & (Ch2 = Voc2 Input)
    UL – LR -> (FX1_Ret up to desired effect level)

LL – Mix1 -> (CH1 = Voc1 up to desired level)
    UL – Mix1 -> (Mix1 Master = Up to Unity) & (FX1_Ret to desired effect level)

LL – Mix2 -> (CH2 = Voc2 up to desired level)
    UL – Mix2 -> (Mix2 Master = Up to Unity) & (FX1_Ret to desired effect level)

LL – FX1 -> (CH1/Voc1 & CH2/Voc_2 up to Unity) & (Post Fade)
    UL – FX1 -> FX1_Send -> (Up to Unity) & (Post Fade)

Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

djam, thanks for the kudos. I am pleased this helped you out.

I’m really a novice at this without deep understanding. I’ll give my best shot at an answer, but if wrong, hopefully someone else will step in.

To adjust (as I understand) the two different vocal mixes independently, I think you need to mute the channels on the lower level, not the mixes, if you have them sharing the same FX.

The only way I can see to separate them so that the FX send from one vocal mix doesn’t bleed into the other mix is to use separate FXs for each.

Not sure which unit you have, but if you only have the 2 dedicated FX busses, remember you an use some of your Mixes for the other 2 FX engines for a total of 4.

Profile photo of Chino_za
    Chino_za
    Participant

Hi Guys,

A bit of a stupid question.

Can you assign different FX levels and libraries to individual channels or is it only global effects that can be used in a single scene?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Can you assign different FX levels and libraries to individual channels or is it only global effects that can be used in a single scene?

Kind of a two part question.

You only have four FX to work with, settings within each those will be the same for any channels that are using that FX.

The scene or show file saves the FX as a global FX save.

Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

It is worth adding that you can assign different levels to each channel of any one or all four of the available FX.

Once the FX is instantiated you select that FX with the buttons on the lower right of the QU-16 (I think they’re in the same place on all the hardware, using the app would be different).

Then with the lower level selected on the channels simply raise the fader on any channel of interest to send to the selected FX. You should hear it immediately.

You repeat this for as many of the four available FX that you want to send to any specific channel.

You can also watch the FX on the LED when selected on the upper, single FX button below the Home button to see a tiny metering of the send level so you can be sure you are sending as intended.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Thanks!!
    I think your post finally answered something that I was unsure of from the manual with this:

Kind of a two part question.
    You only have four FX to work with, settings within each those will be the same for any channels that are using that FX.
    The scene or show file saves the FX as a global FX save.

My question to reinforce what you said on my brain:
    So if I insert an fx on all mikes with FX1 then whatever settings I put on that fx are identical on all of them?
    So there is no way to have different values for each mike unless I use more fx and route them separately?
    And after we use up all four then we are unable to selectively put fx on other channels?

Profile photo of DFT
    DFT
    Participant

” So if I insert an fx on all mikes with FX1 then whatever settings I put on that fx are identical on all of them?”

The FX will be the same … but each channel will have its own independent send level. You aren’t really putting the FX on the mics, you are putting it on the FX1 channel/ aux where you can send the mic to that channel. To be crystal clear, inserting the FX from the FX menu is a different matter. What ever you insert and adjust there will be identical for any mic you send to FX1. Only the levels can or will be different depending on how you set the faders … from no send to max for that mic channel.

“So there is no way to have different values for each mike unless I use more fx and route them separately?”

Depends what you mean by different values. Again, you can different values with respect to the level you are sending with only one fx inserted and setup on FX1. You could insert the same fx plugin with varied settings on all four possible fx slots … or four different type effects. Then you could send differing levels of each fx from each mic channel to any or all combinations of the four FX channels. You could certainly have more than 16 different settings by using different send levels and different combinations of the 4 FX Aux channels.

“And after we use up all four then we are unable to selectively put fx on other channels?”

This makes me think you are confused … as I once was … about inserting an fx on a mic/ line channel and inserting an fx on an aux. Inserting on a mic channel limits you to one fx on that channel, no other mic can use that fx and you only have three left. Inserting an fx on aux FX1 and FX2 and on any of the other two mix channels you choose gives you a total of four fx that any channel can use via the send. function.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@DFT

Thanks for that elaboration!

I am going to have to go back and read all this again carefully.

When I said values I meant like different parameter for each mike using that fx from the library.

And I am confused more as I thought the only way to insert fx was from the library into the insert point(s)
    [ on channel mix matrix group LR ]shown on the block diagram.

I see built in HPF Gate EQ Delay Compress on the diagram , which I had assumed I could adjust for each channel individually.
    Is there another way to insert fx?? The block diagram shows FX1-4 that can be inserted at many places then comes back from Fx for another try or go to return and from the mix bus to return.

Group out loops to grp matrix LR and group busses and then on to whereever.
    Matrix goes out , LR goes out. Fx and mix bus return back or mix can go somewhere that exits via an output.

I really need to redraw this diagram to make it clearer for actual use to figure things out easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.