Ringing Out The Room – Channel or Overall PEQ?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Ringing Out The Room – Channel or Overall PEQ?

This topic contains 172 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I just installed a Crown XLS to replace an old Peavey in our sanctuary sound system. It is a Class D amp.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

just to understand your logic: How does this thread benefit from this?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

It was just an attempt on my part to let you know I understand what you mean. Just ignore the post.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Oh, great guru, please tell me this: If I feed a signal into the speaker in question and rotate the level control about which we speak, what happens to the volume of the sound radiating from said speaker? So does that control regulate the sound volume or not?

If you adjust ANY control between the mic and the speaker…input gain, channel fader, processor make-up gain, main fader, etc, etc, etc…you can effect a change in the ultimate output. Do we call all these things “volume controls”?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I don’t. Do you?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I always start by setting all my input channel faders all the way to the top (full on)
    then I put the master fader at zero DB and I mix with the gain knobs.

Just kidding 🙂

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Cheat, you should be mixing using the make up gain on the compressor 😉

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Great idea, that’s it, I knew I did this wrong for decades… Couldn’t we remap Makeup Gain to the faders? 😉

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I actually went to evaluate a church recently and saw that. Guy had everything a 0 then just used trims. I was like ‘what?’ He didn’t know any better. Thought that was how you did it.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

It’s one way to have post fade auxes…

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

thanks for the humorous responses folks, made me laugh outloud… that’s a good thing 🙂
    I have installed many sound systems in churches like Gcumbee and have done quite a bit of training,
    I too have just about seen it all.

Oh, so I move the sliders?

I had a church call on Sunday afternoon and said:

“While the preacher was preaching, a light came on briefly in the Altec bass speaker cabinets
    then it sounded kinda tinny after that”

It turns out, the Yamaha power amp decided to allow 110 volts AC to travel to the banana plug outputs.
    The light he saw was the voice coils on fire. Needless to say, “those” Altec 421 woofers did not need to be reconed,
    they needed to be replaced. WOW!

OK back on topic, but that might not be as fun 🙂

Profile photo of Mr.DOS
    Mr.DOS
    Participant

Looking again at those pictures, it does not appear to me that that stage area would sound good with those two parallel walls (which appear to be hard). I can see that there might be lots of ringing issues there, even without a PA!

Coffee King (real name “A. A.?”), do you see these ringing issues in other venues? As others have mentioned, a quick .mp3 of the sound might point in a direction.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Sorry its been a while since I’ve posted on here Ive had various other things to sort out in my life.

Ive tried uploading SHOWS etc on here, but no one ever gets back to me on them.
    I’ll try to record any sound issues from now on if you like.

I’ll now try to work to:

Point speakers to centre of rear wall (I always do anyway)
    Get speakers to at least 7’ to the bottom of the cabinet. (This is a bit higher than I usually do, but will give it a whirl)
    Set speakers to 9 o’clock LINE IN.
    Address 3 or 4 resonances below 300Hz (Remind me why not above again?)
    Use HPF on vocal mics to remove low kick drum rumble/resonances (Start around 80-90 try not to make mic sound too thin)

I’ve got a gig on Saturday with Electro drums (First time for everything) as there is a limiter in the room so that will be interesting to see if there are any issues, how quiet we can play etc etc.

Anyone got any vocal, guitar and drum compression setting theyd like to share for “Rock bands”?

Again, many thanks everyone for your continued support.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

I would leave the compressors off, sounds like they are part of your problem. Same with gates, don’t use them just because they’re there

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Higher frequencies tend not to be room resonances – they tend to be positional issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.