Ringing out the mains?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Ringing out the mains?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of skippy skippy 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of skippy
    skippy
    Participant

I’ve been using my new QU 24 for a little while now felling pretty comfortable after using an analog board for so long, but I am a little confused on what would be the best way to ring out the mains, being there’s only one GEQ for the mains. With my analog set up I would set proper gain structure with a mic at front of house, no Eq, increase until feedback and adjust as needed with a left and right eq for both channels. So with QU how are you guys doing this? First GEQ without PEQ and no eq in the mic? Then PEQ for fine tuning, or the opposite? That’s how tried to do it but I ended up cutting a lot in the room I am dealing with. For some reason I am having problems with one GEQ for the mains.. Shouldn’t you be able to GEQ each speaker separately?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

GEQ is stereo for mains LR. So you are doing both channels at once.

Keep in mind. For years we were taught to only ring the first few Freqs then stop. Generally when you start hearing multiple feedback rings it is time to quit. Otherwise you will overdo it. That maybe why you feel you are taking too much out. There is always a point where physics overtake you. You either have to move the performer or the speaker or get more out of the performer. I can’t tell you the hundreds of times over 40+ years I have said ‘I need more out of the singer or person speaking’.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

As GCumbee said, The GEQ is stereo, so both sides will share the same settings. Personally I prefer ringing out with the PEQ first (sweepable frequency and narrow Q means you can zero in on the exact frequency that is feeding back rather than hoping the ringing freq is of the 28 on the GEQ, and you don’t cut out a whole 1/3 of an octave when you do. This means you’re not cutting out a whole lot of the sound: 1/9th of an octave vs 1/3.) If more eq is required, then resort to the GEQ, or save the GEQ for “personal taste.” Also, if you start with the lower bands that can help with the higher bands, eg if you’ve got ringing at 400Hz and 800Hz, cutting the 400Hz first will often help with the ringing at 800Hz.

Profile photo of skippy
    skippy
    Participant

This is all great advice, I will start from scratch again and use the PEQ at a very narrow filter first,then tune to taste, the room I am in is basically a rectangular 1000sq ft box,not the best situation,I will see what happens, I would imagine same procedure for the monitors also. Thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.