Riding the Master FX Send

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Riding the Master FX Send

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

I am trying to figure out how to get the FX Returns in the monitors (Mix’s) to follow the FX returns on the L/R.

Example: Let’s say I want to turn an echo effect up and down in the mains (L/R) at certain spots in a song. I would use the appropriate FX Return fader on the second layer. However, the band is still hearing the effect constant throughout the entire song in their monitor mixes because those Mix channels each have their own FX Return fader. (The leader of the band, using IEM’s, would like to hear what I am doing with the FX for the house.)

I almost need something akin to a Post-Fade setting on the FX Returns, only one that would tie it to the FX Return on the L/R channel.

Should I be riding the Master FX Send to get this result? Can you think of any reason why that may not be a good idea? Will it change the way the effect sounds or gets activated? I’m talking about digital delay on my QU-24.

Thanks.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“I almost need something akin to a Post-Fade setting on the FX Returns, only one that would tie it to the FX Return on the L/R channel.”

On your effects returns channels, run the monitor mixes Post Fade. Isn’t that what you want?

“Should I be riding the Master FX Send to get this result? Can you think of any reason why that may not be a good idea?”

I often do this. Means an echo at the end of a song can have a long tail, but if the singer starts talking, there is no effect on that.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

“On your effects returns channels, run the monitor mixes Post Fade. Isn’t that what you want?”

Oh!!! I didn’t realize that I could set individual channels as Pre or Post. I thought that it was all or none, as seen in the Routing screen while a Mix is selected. (That’s what I get for running a digital mixer after years of analog training.)

So, if I set my FX Returns as Post in each Monitor Mix, I assume that I also need to run them at Unity to get equal level as the FX in the mains L/R.

Thanks for the eye opener.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

@gordon, you can also set up a Soft Key to mute and unmute the FX Send channel for the echo effect. That way you can punch it in and out without cutting off the effect or change the level. It should mute and unmute in every mix and the L/R.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi all,
    FX returns should always be post fade to maintain the balance between wet and dry signals if the input level is changed.
    All FX are set post fade by default.
    FX returns are available in the upper ST/Mix layer for every mix. They just have to be brought up for that particular mix output to hear them.
    Changing Mixes to post fade will mean they are affected by the LR.
    I always assign FX sends to a mute group, which are assigned to softkeys 1-4 by default, so that I can mute input to the FX at the end of a song without cutting off the FX tail. This means I don’t have to touch the fader, just a softkey, which is always easier to get to 🙂
    Hope this helps.
    Harry.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Agree re muting the and, but surely it’s the Fx *send* which should always be post fade?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.