Reverb and EQ suggestions

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Reverb and EQ suggestions

Tagged: 

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RS RS 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Runepune
    Runepune
    Participant

I doubt it’s anywhere near the top of the priority list at A&H

I would hope it is…since it can literally make or break sound for an engineer. A high quality, or at least good, reverb is way more important than adding functionality, methinks! And just about any cheap plugin manages to sound better these days :^+

Profile photo of magneticfield
    magneticfield
    Participant

I am surprised by the vision of some of you. With due respect of course of each opinion. Is it likely that things are being taken out of context?
    We all know what a Yamaha SPX-900 sounds like, and yet we’ve worked with them just like the Lexicon PCM 70, 80, 90… for years.
    Is someone going to tell me that in those old processors the reverb tails are not remarkable?
    I have worked practically with the totality of the digital consoles of the market and all have their characteristics, their particularities, their character, in all one thing or another is noticed. I’m not going to get into whether it’s better or worse, but what I do not have the slightest doubt is that the quality of the SMR of the dLive is more than enough for any type of standard work both live and Broadcast.
    And one thing is clear, if life really goes in the result of course there are better resources. Tc electronic system 6000, Bricasti M7… obviously its price justifies the results.

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

Yes you’re right the SMRs sound more realistic than any spx and the plates do a quite satisfying job. In addition it’s neither forbidden to connect any vintage hardware unit that you find in a corner of your store or you can buy for small money to your mixer to give its unique texture to your reverb repertoir nor restricted to add a waves card to a slot. But one single high level algo would be nice …

Profile photo of Runepune
    Runepune
    Participant

My concern is the metallic sounding tail (I wouldn’t file this under reverb “character”), as if it’s lacking in discrete delay/diffusion processing and rather just repeating identical portions. And there’s no way around it. Very obvious on percussive sources. My thought was that dedicating more processing power may help. Or it may just be a programming issue, I don’t know.

So, the feature request may be something like SMR+ dual or quad-processing reverbs. I’ll gladly sacrifice 4 FX slots for one good reverb 🙂

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I’d be happy to join you.
    the bundling of several process blocks for a real high-end reverb would certainly be an interesting idea.

Profile photo of I Hunskaar
    I Hunskaar
    Participant

I agree with Runepune. The reverb tail is metallic sounding, it is an effect or artifact called often described as “ringing”. It is impossible to get rid og it by adjusting any parameters. It’s just a poorly designed reverb algorithm. And I certainly don’t agree with magneticfield’s statement: “….but what I do not have the slightest doubt is that the quality of the SMR of the dLive is more than enough for any type of standard work both live and Broadcast.”

To me the reverb is not usable as a main reverb for anything. I have made very short abd dark reverbs work after a lot of filtering with EQ, but any longer tails sounds synthetic and metallic in my experience.

I almost always bring at least 1 external reverb, either TC reverb 4000, Lexicon PCM native on a laptop or other plug-ins.

The only console reverb I have used with good results is the ones in the Lexicon reverb in the Soundcraft Vi consoles.

I really hope A&H can implement a new and better reverb in a new native 96kHz dLive DSP FX card, as I have been told several times by the people selling the console in Norway. Or simply release a software update to the already existing SMR reverb.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If I understand this right, somebody promised you a FX card?

the system is using one FPGA for all processing…

Wolfgang
    Participant

At the end of 2015, when I bought my dLive, I was told that the FX are not calculated in the FPGA, but run here on a separate DSP board. at that time it was also hinted that this should be revised sometime.

but when, how and why… that’s written in the stars, of course.

SteffenR
    Participant

The RackExtra FX portfolio combines the pristine quality and wide choice offered by boutique plug-ins with the convenience and low latency of onboard processing. It’s no secret that we have a passion bordering on obsession for crafting painstakingly faithful emulations of the most revered outboard equipment. Drawing on the power of the XCVI Core, we have built hugely potent DSP kernels within the FPGA, allowing us to integrate our proven library of reverb, delay and modulator algorithms into dLive, with 16 FX slots available, each with a dedicated stereo return

Wolfgang
    Participant

Aha, then the information was not quite correct years ago. But at least not quite wrong 😉
    After all, it wouldn’t be necessary to exchange a circuit board!

Profile photo of I Hunskaar
    I Hunskaar
    Participant

Distributor told me about a separate DSP card for FX taken from iLive operating at 48kHZ, so there seem to be some confusion about this.. I don’t know the correct answer. But if it’s all on the FPGA, they could just release it in a software update…

SteffenR
    Participant

but that is not simple, it takes time

Wolfgang
    Participant

nobody said it would be easy… 😉
    but it would be nice to get even higher quality effects.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

I would gladly sacrifice at least 8 of the Fx slots. Actually I use never more than 4 to 6 engines. So change that first number a 10 to 12. I would suggest this should be enough beef to render something very high class?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.