Remove gate from monitors

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Remove gate from monitors

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of davidslee
    davidslee
    Participant

I have a Qu32 running firmware 1.93. My stage box is the Allen & Heath AB168 and I’ve got inEar monitors using the ME-1.

I have 3 vocal channels (11,12,13) I have to put a gate on the vocals because the stage is small and the vocal mics pick up the kick drum and cymbals.

How do I remove the gate from the inEar monitors?

Based on page 38-40 of the manual, I believe I just have to set the mix group for the FX to pre-fade, then set mix group routing to Post-EQ for
    the Channel Source. The manual must have been written using an older firmware version, because the screens look different from my mixer, and I can’t get to the screen to select Post-EQ

Someone halp!!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Make a split for the vocal mic’s three channels foh and three channels monitor.

Richard

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

For ME setup, look at page 74

If you choose Post-Preamp as the direct out, you’ll get no gate in you ME.

Of course, you’ll also have no eq or compressor either, so you may find that splitting and having separate channels for monitors is a better way to go, as Richards suggests. As you’re using an AB168 the split can be done in routing, with no need for extra hardware.

Profile photo of davidslee
    davidslee
    Participant

Hey MarkPAman – I’m a little new at this. How do I specify that a specific channel should go to my AB168?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

From your AB168 rather than to it.

In the i/o patch, you can have the 16 inputs of you AB box go to (for example) 1>16, then duplicate this on 17>32. If you also have things plugged into the desk directly, you’ll have to use a physical splitter lead for those, and probably cut down the number of monitor input channels you make.

You can then use the first 16 for FOH, with gates, PEG, comps as required, and the second 16 (apart from gains & phantom) can have a different set of settings and be sent to monitors.

If I do this I turn those monitor channels off (“Assign” & “Select” buttons) to the main L&R, and then run monitor sends post fade (“Pre Fade” and “Select” to make them post) from those channels.

I often then, space permitting, put those monitor input channels into the custom layer on the same faders as their FOH ones, along with all the Monitor Masters, and also any effects I’m dedicating to monitors. So the custom layer will pretty well act as a separate monitor desk.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.