Reference Manual

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Reference Manual

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

New to QLD. I have downloaded some ‘manuals’ but they do not get down to the nitty gritty of say patching a dSNAKE input to a channel > Fader, naming etc.
    I find the videos a bit fast and they ofttimes assume prior knowledge. I’m searching for some written material I can sit down and read.
    Can anyone point me to a very comprehensive user reference manual please.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Try this one: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD-Touch-Screen-Reference-V1.5_1.pdf It gets into a lot more detail.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That was the one. I could only find it on one of those “Manual” sites that wanted me to downloads a bunch of other stuff 1st so thank you. My problem is I’m grounded in lighting consoles and used to the Control Channel > DMX patch thingy. The term “Chanel” comes up a lot in different places and still can’t fully differentiate a Fader or a control channel.
    Like when you select an input and put it on a fader where is the channel?

I spent some time in the desktop editor today and find it odd that you can do the same thing in both [Processing] / [Preamp] like assigning an input socket to a fader or in [Setup] / [Control] whereby I can drag an input and it’ll rename the fader strip header. In the Processing version I had to change the name manually.
    Still, feel today better in that I have that manual to look through. SO thanks agian

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

That ‘channel’ word appears to me to be going both ways! Some examples;
    “Socket Source – Open the drop-down menu to choose which source to patch to the channel” (looks like a ‘channel’ is a fader strip). And then we see;
    “The Preamp page provides access to the Input Channel source patching, socket…” (now ‘channel’ is an input!

And we read from the text that input sockets are attached to preamps and we “make a channel safe” by locking this preamp. (Again ‘channel’ used with reference to inputs).

So, I just don’t get the philosophy of the word “channel” in the GLD. Sometimes its pointing to an input “channel” like a socket other times it seems to be pointing the other way to a fader strip.

Maybe I have it all wrong and there really is no hardware/firmware/whateverware ‘channel’ It’s just a loose term to describe a routing between an input and a fader.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

A channel is a logical internal processing chain for an audio input source. Only one audio input source (socket) can be assigned to a channel at a time. The GLD is a 48 channel mixer, so it has 48 independent input sources available. Stereo channels are 2 input sources, one for the left channel, and one for the right channel.

A fader strip can control many different things including channels, DCAs, Midi, FX inputs, FX outputs, and the various types of output busses (group / aux / matrix). You can have a single channel appear on multiple fader strips. The GLD-80 has 80 fader strips, and the GLD-112 has 112 fader strips. These are organized into 4 layers across the 2 banks in the case of the GLD-80, and 3 banks in the case of the GLD-112.

A layer is a new virtual set of fader strips. A bank is a group of fader controls.

I hope this helps.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Scott, there are some points in here about none channel issues that I’m going to grab for my notes. But I think my original supposition is that a channel is no ‘one thing’.

The GLD Touch Screen Refence manual is really helping. One picture on page 6 tells me more about the “Signal flow for the input [Channel]” then a thousand words. So here the Channel is the whole chain, the Preamp before source patch, the polarity >> Fader or just the Fader? Everything has an input from the left.

But in reality, as you say it is a; “logical internal processing chain”. One might even call it a “Processing chain” or a “Route”. I don’t patch; “Input > [Channel] > fader > Out”. I patch “Input > fader > out”. Or as you mentioned “Out (FX etc) > Fader” and so on.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

There are two separate things going on here, but they can appear similar. There are 48 channels, (or 46, it’s configured as 44 mono and 2 stereo, but a “stereo channel” is actually 2 channels linked together). You can have up to 114 potential signal sources from the outside world if you include all the possible dsnake options, USB, and the expansion slot, but you can only use 48 of these at a time, because that’s how many channels there are. You can route any one signal to any one channel. It’s actually more than 114 sources if you include the internal FX returns, and the ability to route mix buses back into channels.

The selection of what input source is routed to which channel is referred to as patching (also which mix bus is routed to which physical output). If you patch input socket 6 to channel 9 then the audio plugged into input socket 6 will always go to channel 9. It doesn’t matter where on the surface you choose to have channel 9 appear. You can put it on the first fader on layer A, and it is still channel 9. This matters when you do things like inserting items from the FX rack any you may need to specify the channel number. If you set up the setup > control > surface prefs > alt view to “DSP Channel” then your fader LCDs will show this parameter when you hold the alt view button. They’ll also be displayed consecutively in the strip assign page along with their channel number.

You can do silly things like put channel 1 on every fader, but there is still only one channel 1, you’ve just got 20 “handles” to control if from (handles isn’t an audio term 🙂 ). If you move any one of them they’ll all follow, they can’t not follow because they are all the same channel, and the channel can only have one fader value. If you press the select button on any one of them it will light up every select button, even though you can only have one channel selected at a time. This is because they are all the same channel, so you have only selected one channel.

You can also play music though a channel, then go into strip assign and remove it from the surface. The music will keep playing, because the existance and settings of the channel are entirely separate from where, or even if, it appears on the control surface. You might actually choose to do this for a channel you don’t want taking up any space, you could still put it’s mute button on a softkey for example.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Chris. I’m back on shaky ground because I thought I had it. Could I ask a favor? Could you walk me step by step through a simple example. How would I;

1/ Patch Input socket #1 from the dSNAKE onto (input processing / DSP) Channel #6
    2/ Point channel #6 to fader 10 Bank A layer 1.

If I had access to someone locally who was really using one of these I would have all this down by now.
    Thanks.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

No problem, here you go 🙂

I didn’t set any channel names, so you can’t really see the effect of the alt-view button. When I pressed alt view it would have changed to show 6, but it was already named “6” by default… Be aware alt-view can instead be set to show you the socket number that’s patched to that channel, but that’s easy enough to see by looking in the preamp tab.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I followed this exactly using my “Templata1 LR” show and it worked very well. I’m now going to do it several more times to pound it in and write it up as an example in my desk note. Thanks
    I started out with another show some one else saved eons ago and found that several of the blocks at the bottom of the Processing / Preamp window were blank – and – I could not select them!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Those blocks are just a representation of the fader strip, a blank unselectable block will be a fader strip with nothing on it. You can select anything on the surface from the main window showing the surface overview.

Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OKeedokee. Added to my notes for the future. It’s been a very productive day and I feel I’ve turned a huge corner in my GLD education. Thanks Chris

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Just been scouting on-line and discovered you’re UK based. I’m (a Brit) living on the middle of Florida and wondering if yo know of any folks in this part of the world suing the GLS112. I think it would pay me to sit down with some one. Or who should I contact to find out same. Thanks Chris

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.