Redundant stagebox connections on C series

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Redundant stagebox connections on C series

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jens-Droessler Jens-Droessler 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What is the procedure for connecting up the DX168 or DX164 using redundant connections to a CDM32?
    Is there a way to do it without using up the slot on the CDM32 with either the DX HUB or DX LINK expansion boxes?

I couldn’t find anything on the website regarding this specifically.

Thanks!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Redundant connection only works with additional cards or the S series…
    that’s one reason why the C series is cheaper than S class

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks, Steffen. I’m aware of that difference, but thought that there might be a way to get redundancy using the HUB or LINK devices without adding a card to the slot.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Mr.X, think about it: Even IF you can use a DX-Hub for redundancy, the connection to the mix rack via GigaACE would be non-redundant. The DX-Link card will allow for DX redundancy, but of course will use up the only expansion slot in the CDM.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The connection from the external hub to the mixrack is not the problem. I’m just looking for redundancy on the external preamps which would be at some distance from the mixrack. The Dx link or hub would be in the same location as the CDM.
    So what you’re saying is the only way is with the card in the slot, yeah?

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes. AFAIK the hub does not support redundancy.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The DX Hub supports redundancy in a dual hub configuration. In this configuration, Link A and B from a gigaACE card in the MixRack/Surface connect to two separate DX Hubs, thus offering redundant connections to DX Expanders.
    See page 6 of the DX guide.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks, Nicola, but there’s no way for redundancy WITHOUT using up the I/O slot in the CDM, correct?

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

For the DX hub you’d need the GigaACE card, so the slot would be populated one way or the other, yes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you, Jens.

So, why can’t the existing giga-ACE connection be used to connect to the hub?
    (I’m not using a surface, btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Because the on-board gigaACE port is designed as the main link to a dLive Surface. Not for I/O expansion.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Nicola, is the redudandant mode automatically set if you use two hubs on a GigaACE card and just connect the primary DX port to one hub and the secondary to the other? Or will the GigaACE card always expect a hub on the secondary GigaACE link to be a redundant link to the DXs (so no two independent hubs with four to eight DXs each on one GigaACE card possible)? Also, does it matter if you connect the primary DX ports to the hub that’s on the secondary GigaACE link of the card? I’d like to know the “fine print” on those matters 🙂

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Jens,
    The gigaACE card always works in redundant mode. So to answer your question, if a DX Hub is connected to Link A, Link B can only be connected to a second DX Hub for redundancy purposes.
    In such a system, I would suggest connecting all ‘A’ ports from your DX Expanders to DX Hub ‘A’, and all ‘B’ ports from your DX Expanders to DX Hub ‘B’.
    Do not connect A and B from a DX Expander to the same DX Hub – that’s not supported.

Since you also mentioned the DX Link option in this thread, this card would give you the choice of either 4x parallel DX ports OR 2x redundant pairs. You choose the mode via a software switch. So with a single DX Link card you can connect 2 DX Expanders with redundant cable. In comparison, the gigaACE + dual DX Hub scenario above allows up to 4.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you, Nicola.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

So the GigaACE card cannot act as two independent GigaACE ports? That’s a pity. The secondary port will be useless in most scenarios, especially with C-Class owners (since they can’t get redundancy to the primary surface anyway). Is there a possibility to change that via software/firmware in the future or is this set in the used hardware? More flexibility is ALWAYS welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.