Recording with QU

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording with QU

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Hello!

I’m completely new to recording, I only did live mixing. So, what’s the easiest way to record with QU and for example Cubase? Do I multitrack record playing and after put it into program, and mix there? Can I record each track on it’s own? Give me some instructions on that:) I want to do some experimental mixing.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

so currently this is the fourth how-to-record-thread in a row, nice…

With the Qu you can do multitrack recording either way. Recording 18 tracks (not more not less) right from the desk to USB HDD/SDD/Stick or connect a PC/Mac to the USB connector on the back and record all required channels directly into your favorite DAW.

Profile photo of John-B
    John-B
    Participant

Just chiming in here, there is also lots of great info located on the Knowledge base site here:

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/List/Index/201/qu-series

I’ve had very good experience, especially when I’ve followed the HDD recommended drive info for using the Qu-Drive process. I’ve also had good experience when recording direct to Protools on my MacBook Pro. Again that knowledge base site is a great resource, as A & H has recently added Windows drivers also. I’m assuming that might be part of your concern with Cubase, as I believe it’s Windows (PC) only. Hope this helps!

John

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

So can I record every instrument separately? Then I have a lot of MTK files, and I can put them all in daw, and they are then together? Can I also playback stereo to headphones of player, and simulaneously multitrack record? If not, what would be easiest way to do that? Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you’re recording to your DAW this all is possible (concurrent playback&recording), basically depends on the possibilities of your DAW and PC/Mac specs. Handling 16-32 audio channels in+out in realtime needs a decent machine.

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

If I record with DAW, does effects on vocal also get recorded in program? Because if I import MTK files into Cubase, I don’t have fx, how do I change that? (I also don’t yet have plug-ins).

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

As you hopefully know from the manual (chapter 8.14 Output Patch Setup) you can decide to record dry input channels or some kind of processed stuff like a MIX. You may as well decide to record all channels post processing including any EQ, Gate, Compressor or insert FX assigned.
    Anyway, I’d record dry and model any FX (and EQ…) afterwards in the DAW.
    To change not having FX plugins is simple, just install some (and there is plenty of free yet usable stuff around).

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or record the FX returns, then you get the dry and wet sounds to mix as appropriate in the DAW

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

Thank you a lot! How exactly do I record FX returns?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

RTFM: Read The Fine Manual

Specifically looking at section 8.14

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

So I don’t have Apple, so I can’t connect qu16 with computer, but what would be best option for me? Is my only option to record mtk on Disc, and then later import it in Cubase? Or can I put some component between qu16 and computer to record directly on it? Is this possible? Thanks!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

No Idea why you can’t connect your Qu to a Windows PC for recording, I did this several times without any issues. Just install the driver from the A&H website and your DAW will see the Qu as a multichannel audio interface.
    Of course you’re free to record multitrack on a QuDrive and copy the WAV files to Cubase. No idea about MTK files either…
    There are really several threads around focusing on recording, I really recommend to read them…

Profile photo of knga
    knga
    Participant

So in output patch I chose that channels 17 and 18 should record FX2 ret L and FX2 ret R. How do I get this recorded into Cubase?

1.) Can I get monitor mix back into QU and into Headphones (plugged in Phones on mixer), I believe it is possible, with normal soundcard it is, but it doesn’t work here.

2.) Is it better to record with EQ/HPF/dynamisc ON in the mixer, or just record raw signal into Cubase and then eq/comp/… that signal in program?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Linux connection also “just works” btw

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.