recording with effects and processing using qu 16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions recording with effects and processing using qu 16

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of scotty scotty 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scotty
    scotty
    Participant

Hi, My band recently just got a qu 16 and I was wondering how, to record using effects and eqs on the tracks. I listened to everything through the mixer and we had reverb and eqs and compressors going on, but then when we actually recorded, all the tracks were dry and not eq’d at all. I’m using pro tools. Not sure what to do to make the processing and effects… pre fader? I guess. Pretty new to using consoles, so bare with me.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Scotty,

We don’t have our QU32 yet, but I have been studying the manual, and I see that if you’ll go to the Output Patch Tab and select USB Audio, there is an option to Insert Sends.

The manual for Firmware 1.7 says this on p. 67:

Set this to Insert Sends if you do not want the input channel and group USB sends to be affected by the mixer processing (EQ, Comp, Gate, Delay). This sends the raw Preamp and unprocessed Group signals to the USB stream and is the typical setting for live recording.

Set this to Direct Outs if you want the input channel USB sends to follow the channel global Direct Output option. It also sets the Group sends to be postprocessing and post-fader. This is the typical setting for studio recording (working with a DAW).

Note – The global Direct Output option affects all inputs and is set in the channel Routing screen.

The instructions do not seem correct to me, but maybe you can make sense of it with the mixer in hand. At any rate, it does sound as if you’ll be able to put the effects into the USB output mix. Also, the manual tries to cover all three mixers plus the QuPac, and sometimes it leaves out stuff and may not make it clear if they are speaking about a feature that the QU16 does not have.

I hope this is helpful and does not cause you confusion!

DoctorG

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Yep, you’re on the right track. The (global) tapping point for recording can be set to either insert-send or direct out. Using the insert send setting, the signal is tapped post preamp, so gain and pol inv will affect the signal, but the signal is pre everything else. This is useful if you just want to record the dry mics, then process and mixdown later using your DAW and the DAW’s own plugins and fx.

The other option (direct out) taps the signal at the direct out point. The thing is that you can choose to move the direct out point to a variety of places in the signal chain. IIRC by default it’s post preamp (which is effectively the same as having it as insert send,) but you can move it so that it’s Pre eq, post eq, post all (post compressor,) or post fader. There is also an option to have it follow the channel’s mute. If you set the DO so that it’s post all, you’ll get the effects of your Qu’s insert, eq and dynamics settings in the recording. NB this is only for the 16x channels being recorded. If you want to record the FX returns (eg your eqs and delays) you need to include them in the USB output patch at the expense of a couple of channels.

HTH

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

If you want to record the FX returns (eg your eqs and delays) you need to include them in the USB output patch at the expense of a couple of channels.

This is the key regarding FX. If you are returning your FX to a channel to control the level of the FX for a single channel or group of channels such as all the vox channels, you need to include the FX return channel in your USB output scheme.

If you are using your FX for a single channel only by using the INSERT option for your FX return to that particular channel, you should be able to have that effect for that particular channel included in the send for that channel IF you choose the pick-off point for the direct out to be post-insert…which should happen if you select “post-all” as your POP option.

So the aftermath of your choices is that you need to burn one of the channels for FX return or limit the use of your FX engines to one/channel.

That’s all the variables I can think of right now. I’ll just note that if you’re recording into a DAW the “standard” ( if there is one) is to record the tracks dry so you can work up your mix from scratch. If you have any processing or FX embedded in the tracks, you can’t undo them in the DAW and any further adjustments or corrections within the DAW will be rendered difficult or impossible. Recording the FX return channel will still allow you some leeway and should be OK.

Otherwise keep it “dry” as far as possible.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Scotty,

DR has given you some good advice. One other thing I would add is to remember that effects and EQ you apply for a live performance, particularly EQ, are usually applied to correct problems that pertain to the venue and “equipment.” These settings will likely not be applicable for your recording. As Dick said, you want the sound to the recording to be as “flat” and “dry” as possible, particularly if you plan to process it with a DAW such as ProTools. This all depends upon the purpose of your recording and your skill with your DAW software.

Profile photo of scotty
    scotty
    Participant

Awesome, thanks guys this helps a lot!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.