Recording using Garageband

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Recording using Garageband

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PeterJames PeterJames 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PeterJames
    PeterJames
    Participant

Hi,

In would like to be able to multi track record from a dLive. I am not at all keen to purchase an expensive product such as ProTools. My primary goal is to use Virtual SoundCheck so wont be spending ages in production – just good enough to use in VSC.
    I am using a Mac so am thinking os using something like Garage Band. If there is a better option that is free or low cost (non subscription based), that may work. I am assuming I can use a Dante Card and the Dante Virtual Sound Card on the PC? Or is there a better / simpler / cheaper option than Dante?

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

For free but not supported anymore: Waves Tracks Live. Recording only, no processing. Easy to setup, streamlined interface.
    Low cost (70 bucks) and very good support: Reaper. A full DAW. Setting up a minimal recording setting can feel a bit clumsy, especially when you are not doing it regularly.
    More expensive (200 bucks, unless you find a special deal. Then maybe 99): Nuendo Live. Recording only, very easy to setup. Most Streamlined interface of them all.

I have used and still use the first 2, with more tendency towards Reaper now. But I regret not having jumped on the BlackFriday deal for Nuendo Live…

PeterJames
    Participant

Thank you for the detailed response.
    I assume that all will over Dante from the dLive? and the the apps. will work with the Dante Virtual Sound Card? Is this similar you your setup?

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

I record exclusively over Dante with my setup. That is with DVS on Mac and Win10 computers. DVS is selectable like any other soundcard.

PeterJames
    Participant

Thank you. Sounds exactly what I need. Nuendo looks good so will look for a discounted price. I am in no massive rush.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Reaper will allow you to “evaluate” their software pretty much indefinitely. It is a bit more complicated to use but at the cost of being very flexible. A license is super cheap in comparison to the other big boy software as well. I have loved using Reaper to record and do all of the VSC functions on the cheap.

PeterJames
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

What aspects make Reaper more complex to use?

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Steep learning curve. Built in plugins are decent but will make you want to look elsewhere. Its very powerful but it will more than likely require someone to visit their help videos (which are great) to get set up and going. Having said all that, I got my recording setup, created a template, and it just works.

The best way to figure out if it is for you or not is to just go download it and start playing. No account to setup, no limitations. You can’t say that for all full featured DAWs.

I “evaluated” the software for over a year and finally purchased a license. I should have purchased it sooner because the developers really created something special.

PeterJames
    Participant

Thank you for the help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.