Recording to USB drive, EQ/processing in vs. out

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording to USB drive, EQ/processing in vs. out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of G Biner
    G Biner
    Participant

I’m confused – when I record to the Qu-drive, the channels get the processing/EQ I set. But when I play back, according to the block diagram, the tracks come through the same processing *again* — but I’m not hearing double processing, and the playback sounds no different than when I recorded it, so I think it is not getting the processing — yet I can change the processing and it does take effect. Totally confused about this.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

By default qudrive taps the individual channel signals directly after the gain control without fader or EQ influence. When you play back into the same channels they will act just like the unprocessed live signals coming into each input. You can also set the qudrive to tap the signals after various blocks of processing, but if played back into the same channels you will get double processing.

Profile photo of G Biner
    G Biner
    Participant

thanks, garyh, that makes sense, I remember seeing that direct out pick-off option choice, now I know a use for it.

but, now I see a situation where if you will only play the Qu-drive back thru the Qu-16, it’s fine, but if you intend to use the tracks in a DAW, than you would probably want to move the pick point and print the processing you had when you were monitoring your recording, or else you will have to recreate all the processing in the DAW. and then you can’t really play those track through the Qu-16 or you will get double processing — (you could bypass the processing but then you wouldn’t be able to adjust the sound). do I get this correctly?

another issue has occurred to me and that is if I’m using compression to increase the signal level on recording, but the recorded tracks don’t print it, that’s kind of an odd situation — I have an uncompressed recording that I spent a lot of time optimizing the compression for to make it sound good. if the configuration of the board has changed, my playback is going to sound bad. is this an issue for people? just trying to understand the working philosophy here.

really appreciate the help.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If you want to record post processing, and play back on the Qu, why not set up different scenes?

A recording scene with analogue inputs selected, which you adjust to get the best recording, and then a playback scene, with USB input selected, which has as it’s starting point, all processing set back to flat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.