Recording to Garageband

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording to Garageband

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debzdoodle debzdoodle 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I have a question regarding the best way to avoid latency when using the QU16 as an interface for a simple recording to Garageband. I very rarely record other than live to hard drive. I did mess around with recording directly to Garageband a couple of times but wasn’t sure how to set things up for the best way to monitor through phones.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Monitor straight off the desk, either use the QuDrive, or USB B streaming…

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks….How would I set up local/USB routing like I do when I play back from hard drive? Do you mean use mix outs for monitors like I would live?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Absolutely, why do anything other than monitor live through the mixer. If you’re recording to backing tracks then you can select USB B inputs for that channel – latency won’t be an issue, but you might decide to align your recording at a later point. If you have a mic input then record a snippet of the playback to determine your latency – which will be v low

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks Bob… I’ll spend some time later today working it out – getting some recording done this weekend.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Just spent some time checking it out and I couldn’t hear any latency at all. If there is any, I don’t see how anyone could tell. Thanks Bob…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If there is no “audible” latency, its probably still there and may change the feel and groove of your recording. Each meter music-through-air (listening to a speaker) adds about 3mSec latency. Digital path may add more msec, depending on buffer settings and latency correction inside your DAW.
    When you play back a single percussive tone from a previous session and record that one through a microphone and finally compare the waveforms, I’m pretty sure you see a delay in the low mSec range. If you playback both tracks in parallel you should be able to recognize these double attacks as well.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

For people old enough to use “proper” imperial measurements then it’s 1 ft/ms (I like the ease of that conversion)

You’ll only see it when comparing tracks on a DAW – the waveform will be shifted by a few mSec (3 comes to mind, but it probably depends on your PC hardware as well…
    Hence I suggested recording the “backing track” back to the PC (actually you might be able to push the whole thing back, which would be good – it wouldn’t leave the digital domain at any point, so should be a perfect match (assuming flat eq and no dynamics/fx)

debzdoodle
    Participant

I’m not looking for perfection so for now this will be fine. If I continue to do more recording, maybe I need to investment in some equipment….

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’ve not used garage band, but if it lets you view the waveform and zoom right in, then that will do the job. It’s then a case of lining up the two signals. You’re looking at 48 discrete points between each ms, so there is plenty of scope for perfectionism 🙂

debzdoodle
    Participant

I did some recording yesterday and could hear no latency -things appeared to be going well.
    Recording isn’t really my thing but I do enjoy the process so my friend asked me to help him out.
    I used the QU16 and because the session only involved drums, bass and guitar, I used Garageband because I am so familiar with it and it is all I need for this project. First time I had used the QU16 for more than 2 tracks. Used 8 tracks – 6 drum mics, guitar and bass.
    Anyway….we had laid down the basic tracks for 3 songs – played them back and they sounded great – no issues. Then guitarist switched from his electric to acoustic guitar through DI box for song 4. Used different channel on desk. The band played the song straight through and everything sounded fine through the headphones. Then I played it back. The acoustic guitar started the song and after 4 bars a high pitched (maybe 8-9k) screechy/scratchy digital sound came through. It seemed to happen with the beat and got louder with the music volume. However it was intermittent.
    I blamed the guitar because nothing else was playing during the intro but then I realized as I went through the tracks, it was there intermittently on different tracks throughout the song. It was in exactly the same place each time I played it back so it was definitely on the recording – but was not there when song was being recorded.
    We figured it was a fluke and the band played the song again and there it was again (in different places).
    So, what I did was – I disconnected my router from the mains because it is permanently attached to the mixer and sits on its own shelf in the rack for live use when I use my iPad. Then the guitar player removed his tuner pedal from the mix ( which wasn’t the problem otherwise the screeching would have been heard during the recording) and I saved the project and re-booted my macbook.
    The band played the song once more – same instruments and no problems – playback was perfect.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Modify message

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sounds like dropped frames during recording. Maybe there are some backround tasks running on your Mac before the reboot. I doubt the router was the culprit unless your Mac is also attached to that WiFi network.
    When I do multitrack recordings I normally use a stripped down machine with disabled network drivers, disabled auto update, no virus scanners along with a somewhat pure DAW (no plugins etc.).

debzdoodle
    Participant

From what you are saying Andreas it could have been a number of things that I caused myself. My macbook was wifi enabled and it is usually connected to my home wifi. However, I have noticed a few times when the router to my QU16 is on (and I am home), that the wifi enabled equipment in the home connects to it as the strongest signal. It may have connected to the QU router and I didn’t realize. There also may have been background tasks running on my mac (I didn’t check).
    Going forward I will always make sure to 1) turn off the wifi on the macbook, 2) make sure to close out all programs other than the one I am using to record, 3) turn off all cell phones and 4) as an extra precaution, turn off the home wifi whilst recording.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

turning off the home WiFi is probably not necessary if WiFi on your recording mac is turned off. Turning off cell phones is wise for recording sensible signals like guitars but should not have an affect on frame errors.

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks again Andreas. I’ll be doing some recording again in the next week or 2 and will be more careful next time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.