Recording to DAW and QU-drive simultaneously

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording to DAW and QU-drive simultaneously

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mort
    Mort
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve searches this Forum but couldn’t find anything that would answer my question.

Next month I have to mix a live event that will be released on a DVD. There will be a camera team and I have to provide the multitrack recording (using a QU-24). It is a four piece band (drums, guitar, bass and 3 vocals) so the 18 tracks of the QU-drive will be sufficient.

In the past I have recorded to QU-drive OR DAW (Logic Pro X) depending on how many tracks I have to record. Both worked fine so far.

I know I can record tracks 1-18 with the QU-drive and tracks 19-24 with the DAW (with 18+ tracks I’ve always used the DAW as a stand alone recording solution, though).

But the upcoming event makes me a bit uneasy, because there is quite a lot of money in it with the camera team and all so that I am wondering if it is possible to record the tracks 1-18 simultaneously to QU-drive AND DAW to have a backup recording if one should fail.

The recording time will be 2 hours.

Anybody tried that before?

Cheers from Germany,

Martin

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

It just works. The first 18 channels output to USB go to both, the remainder go to USB-B only.

Given the limitation you might want to push groups to the lower channels (or at least L&R) even if that doubles up on things in the DAW

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’m doing this regularly with even more tracks from the Qu32. There I use groups to collect “simple” or “not concurrently used” instruments together, which go to the first 18 QuDrive channels, so I still have a complete recording on the QuDrive as well. On the DAW I also record the separate channels so I effectively get two complete recordings, with the QuDrive seen as backup.

Profile photo of Mort
    Mort
    Participant

Good to know. Thanks Guys!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes always record to both if its a serious recording especialy if you are getting paid for it..
    I had a situation in an important session recently over 3 days where I simply forgot to push ‘record’ out of the USB-B to Reaper . Luckily I had the QU drive recording so was able to use that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.