recording noise through a mix….

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting recording noise through a mix….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debzdoodle debzdoodle 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I use a QU16 for “quiet’ rehearsal – everyone monitors through headphones. We record all rehearsals using USB/QU drive.
    I personally use LR and and I have always had a little noise (ticking) come through my headphones when recording but not enough to worry about. Well yesterday, the ticking noise came through mix 9/10 instead and this time was quite loud and becasue I had no free mixes, we had to abandon recording for that session. What happened?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Debz,

Do you always get this ticking noise when no audio is present?
    Is it only in the headphones?

Alex

debzdoodle
    Participant

Yes Alex… the sound is always there when the recording feature is selected regardless of whether there is audio present. It has been this way since new. Usually through Main it is very low so it has never bothered me but this was quite loud through the stereo mix.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Debz,

Could you please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com so that we can look at this in more detail?

Thanks!
    Alex

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thank you Alex….. FYI to forum members – Alex helped me today to find out why this occurred.
    I sent him a copy of my show file and he noticed that the ST3 channel was turned up on mix 9/10 but not other mixes and this was the cause of the problem.
    This did not occur to me because I had nothing connected to ST3. However, just having the volume up can cause the noise to occur whilst recording on older units. My unit is 2013 and the ST3 / noise issue has been a known problem and documented quite a few times here but I had assumed something had to be connected to ST3 – apparently not. Alex explained there is a modification available for this issue and I will contact my local distributor.

Excellent customer service!!

debzdoodle
    Participant

Can anyone in the U.S. who has already had the modification done to their QU16 give me an idea of what they paid?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.