Recording mixer style Solo as an option.

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Recording mixer style Solo as an option.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TimmyP TimmyP 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of J.Luszczek
    J.Luszczek
    Participant

For those of us who use SQ mixers in a DAW recording system, a Solo with Solo Safe option for select channels would be great. It could be an option in PAFL section or Mixer Config – Role section.
    What we would like to accomplish is to AFL a channel (or a few channels together) and hear it with the FX returns in the Listen bus. FX returns and groups should be solo safe, which means they always go to listen bus when a channel is AFL’d. So if a channel is not assigned to L/R bus but it goes through groups, soloing it should pass the audio to the Listen bus automatically.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Please remember the beauty of the SQ5 is it’s simple goal of providing world class sonic processing at an entry level price. The internal USB recording options are limited in function primarily to accommodate audio capture of a live event. The SQ5 is not designed to be an all in project studio console however for those folks that have various esoteric recording proclivities, the Dante or Waves card option opens up the entire world of studio recording. Please quit bitchin about this or that feature available on D-live or any other console that is missing on the SQ line: if your needs are that important, belly up the funds for a card to convert the SQ into a front end for a Dante or Waves studio recording system. Some of us are very happy with the SQ as it exists and would not appreciate paying for additional functions that we do not need.
    I send my A&H prime pres thru the SQ tie lines with a Waves card that works very well with my Digigrid/Waves LV1 mixer and Studio One DAW. The advice I offered above is exactly what I did.
    Hugh

J.Luszczek
    Participant

Hi Hugh,

I’m not bitching about anything, I think the SQ is awesome, especially after I purchased the add on compressor pack.
    This subforum is called “SQ features suggestions” and that’s exactly what I posted.

I use the ASIO USB interface to get the audio in and out of the computer. I can mix 32 channels using real faders, real busses with faders, DCAs etc. It’s a much better way to get good mixes for me than using a mouse on a computer screen.

The only thing that throws off the mixing workflow is the PAFL function. For example, if I have a chorus and a bit of delay on a guitar track, those are a an important part of the guitar sound in the mix. On the SQ, if I AFL the guitar channel, I hear just the dry guitar signal. I have to go to another fader layer and AFL the FX returns and any groups the guitar might be going through to hear the guitar as it sounds in the mix.

Seeing how sophisticated the routing in the SQ is now, I don’t think that adding a logic function to the PAFL would be that big of a deal especially when it makes the console more attractive to a large swath of the market.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

when it makes the console more attractive to a large swath of the market.

I doubt that…
    nowadays most people use digital mixers as remote control for the DAW system
    just a few will use the desk as a real studio console for mixing

and btw… we discussed this already many times in other threads
    you can chime in there and add your point

I’m not bitching about anything,

you did some… on your other topic…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I vote for a solo safe function for the SQ.

just a few will use the desk as a real studio console for mixing

Maybe this can be changed if some features will be implemented which are very handy in studios.
    Nowadays we should forget the distinction between live and studio devices at all. I am used to use the mixing console for live events and also at home when I do some recordings. And I do not want to mix my recordings “in the box” because I like real mixing consoles. If I need to listen a channel with the effects, I need to mute all other channels now. But that is not an elegant solution.
    And even such discussion were done several times it makes it not less important to talk about such features.

J.Luszczek
    Participant

we discussed this already many times in other threads
    you can chime in there and add your point

I did some searching before posting, but I guess not deep enough. Now I saw that this came up before on multiple occasions. I’m not surprised, because SQ is a great little machine for a small to medium studio setup. Those of us who come mainly from recording background especially appreciate the ease of tracking with an actual hardware mixer as opposed to a DAW with an interface and a controller or just the keyboard/mouse combo.

Optional Solo In Place mode along with solo safe channels and groups is just about the only feature that is missing. Everything else that’s studio specific could be worked around.

I’ll have to watch some videos on the DLive and see how the Solo In Place is implemented on that board.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you patch the PAFL output to your monitors rather than using the LR you’ll essentially have solo in place, though it does miss the feature of including FX returns associated with that channel.

Chris

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

There are several critical functions that separate live sound reinforcement gear from studio recording needs.
    1) In live SR you get one shot: there are no do overs.
    2) Large performance channel counts generally require organizing stems (via DCAs & groups) with individual processing that can be
    broad cast or two track recorded. Getting it right going in is always at a premium!
    3) A&Hs internal USB multi track option offers direct recording to either an external HD or computer however in either case the post production
    mixing of the captured digital data needs to be processed with a DAW that is designed to accommodate a host of complex enhancements.

Studio recording offers opportunities to layer several individual performances in quest of a higher level of sonic expression and to track over original performances with better new ones. With out question these activities are best achieved with a DAW and to that end a tactile device like my Fader port 8 that I use with my Studio One 5 works very well.
    A&H has provided in the SQ pretty much every thing you need to record a live performance. However requests for features that are associated with extending the SQ’s function into studio activities is somewhat like putting a square peg in a round hole: it is possible however you will never get a good fit!
    Hugh

Profile photo of TimmyP
    TimmyP
    Participant

Send your guitar channels and FX returns to a stereo bus, and PFL that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.