Recording low volume issue

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Recording low volume issue

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ben
    Ben
    Participant

Hello

I do have Qu 32 and i have issue every time i record using the Qu-Drive or USB B i got low volume on the foootage

any idea what i can do

Thank You

Profile photo of TedsLtg
    TedsLtg
    Participant

I do have Qu 32 and i have issue every time i record using the Qu-Drive or USB B i got low volume on the foootage

Turn up the volume on each of the input sliders and turn down the master LR & mix sliders to compensate for overall volume levels.

Profile photo of TedsLtg
    TedsLtg
    Participant

You want the input sliders to be close to parity (ie. 0 ).

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I too was concerned about this at first, but others on this forum explained it and not to worry. First make sure your input channel gains are set so the meters are peaking above 0db. 0db on the meters, I believe, is actually -18db to allow for headroom. If you’re going to use the files in a DAW, you could preprocess them first, boosting their levels using a program such as Audacity. The 24bit 48k recordings seem to give a lot of leeway to do this.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

In the IO set up menu route the USB recording to come from a matrix mix with that matrix mix being fed from
    left right pre output. That way you can control the the recording level via the matrix mix level control as well
    as being able to insert compression and eq on the recording if needed.

That’s my default set up for making a board mix recording.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

garyh et all

When conducting normal gain staging in a live environment it is true that all input channels are nominal, however in actuality when mixing each channel/instrument is not at it’s highest level. A song would not have all of the vocals at the same level, i.e. harmony would be lower, etc. Is there an easier approach to getting an appropriate amplitude? Stereo, multi-channel, Live or Not?

Thank you!

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you’re recording multitrack, the assumption is you will do a mixdown at a later time to a final stereo version, either using a DAW program or feeding the multitracks back through the QU. In this scenario you want optimally recorded levels on all channels. I use the insert send setting to record the multi tracks. Whatever gain level I set on each track gets recorded. This way I can use these recordings for sound checks or training because the same level recorded will be brought back into the board. Before I use these in a DAW, I make copies and preprocess these using Audacity to bring each channels level to just below 0db instead of the -18db the board uses for headroom. The 24bit 48khz files the board produces allow this with no noticeable artifacts.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Feed an mix to the stereo record bus, and set it as POST and bring all of the faders in that mix to 0db. Adjust the mix master to get the desired level on your recording.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.