Recording level

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording level

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

OK – thought it was just the one mic you needed to record.

Yes – If you have mix 5&6 free, then you can set it record from that. Set it to Pre Fade (it probably already is) and once you set the send to each channel the level will not be changed be whatever you do to the L+R level. You’ll not need to bother about the direct out settings*. You can PFL Mix 5&6 out to check what’s being recorded.

* The Pre Fade to each send can be selected from various points though, so you may want to read up on that and decide which option best suits you requirements.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks for that Mark, I will try that next time I’m at church.

In the Qu-24 where in the channel signal path are the Insert Sends and the Direct Outputs. I see that you can select Pre or Post fade on the DO’s so I’m assuming the DO input is connected just after the channel pre-amp and then you can select if the DO return is connected before or after the fader. But what about the IS’s, they seem to be fixed but at what point in channel path are they connected to?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If you are going to use Mix 5+6 to record, Direct outs and insert points are not relevant. No sure what you mean by “DO return”
    On inputs:

You can select Global source for Direct Outs over the whole desk
    You can select Global Per Mix for the mix sends.
    These can be pre Gate, Per EQ, Pre Comp or Post all

Inserted effects are between the Trim (Gain) and HPF
    Inserted Ducker is between HPF & Gate

Direct Out from a mix is POST everything – if you use the mix for recording only, this is exactly what you want.

All this is shown on page 89

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Thanks Mark
    Sorry I was thinking of Insert Return (which btw I can’t see where the FX return gets back into the channel, I see that there is connection from Direct Out into FX1-4 but where does it return back to the channel after effects?).

Do you know I never saw that Block Diagram on page 89, I just saw the Signal Flow diagram on page 8 and saw that it wasn’t very detailed/descriptive. But the BD is very good. I can see the signal flow from channel tap-off after trim into ‘Global source per Mix’ bus and on through the channel mute, fader (pre or post), Mix send into the Mix bus, then into Mix 5&6. And then in the ‘Setup/Output Patch/USB Audio’ screen I select Mix 5 & 6 in the Qu Drive Stereo ch 17 & 18 (or in our case ch 1 & 2) to route Mix 5 & 6 into the recording DAW via USB Audio.

But you said above that “Direct Out from a mix is POST everything…”, but in the Block Diagram it shows that from the ‘Global source per Mix’ bus it goes through the channel mute and then it comes to the fader pre or post selection switch and then onto the Mix bus. Does that not mean that we can select say channel 21 to route to Mix 5&6 pre ch 21 fader, because that would be what I want as I do not want channel 21 fader effecting the signal to the recording DAW via Mix 5 & 6?

Also I notice from the BD that the signal from the channel to the USB (Insert Sends) is directly after the channel trim which is pre everything else (i.e. HPF, EQ, fader), so how come channel 21 fader effects the recording level at the moment when I have Insert Sends as the global source for all channels entering the USB audio?

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

I tested this out earlier and it works as i thought which is great. I have Mix 5&6 set in ch 1&2 in Usb audio and channels 21-24 routed to Mix 9&10 pre-fader. I recorded a test sample with head mic in ch 21 and hand held mic in ch 23 and changing ch 21 or ch 23 faders all the way up and down does not effect the recorded level, but Mix 9&10 faders do effect levels. All good😎😎

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Insert return I think goes back to the FX return channels on the “other” layer.

Insert is just a tap point.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Guys i carried out a few more recording tests on our Qu-24 and found the following:
    Channel 21-24 (radio mics) faders definitely effects the recording level, with Insert Sends as the global source for all channels routed to USB audio! But from the block diagram it shows that the signal from the channel to the USB (Insert Sends) is directly after the channel trim but pre everything else (i.e. pre HPF, EQ, fader), so how come the channel faders are effecting this signal?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.