recording L en R with Audacity

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting recording L en R with Audacity

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I found (several years ago) a fairly good how to on compiling ASIO audacity, but it only just occurred to me…

Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

@andreas and @Dhak, Sunday afternoon I was with a friend mixing the Qu-16 recordings of his blues band and he showed me Reaper and I installed it on my MacBook. I have played around with it for a couple of hours and it looks and feels great although all the options are a bit overwhelming. I haven’t tried it out as a DAW but I think I followed your advice before you even gave it. I guess that means the problem, as far as Audacity is involved, is solved because I will not use it anymore if Reaper runs fine as a DAW.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Just for completeness: Audacity and ASIO, if someone still considers using Audacity for multitrack recording under Windows… 😉

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

I wish I could get the L and R main mix Via USB on windows 7 all I every get is 1 & 2 no matter how much routing changes I do, i simply want to mix on the fly using the built in effects and save a LR recording.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Already said multiple times within this thread:
    Manual 8.14 “Output Patch Setup – USB Audio”
    Per default LR is assigned to send channels 17&18 (QuDrive Stereo Recording) but from that screen you easily can feed LR to first two streams as well.
    …maybe missed to press Apply???

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

Im mixing the Qu drive files off the board, I record gig 18 tracks then playback hoping to grab the final product with my windows 7 laptop via usb.. did they change anything in firmware 1.6 to make it work?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

yes, referred page in the manual changed from 57 to 59, not the functionality…
    Did I understand right, that you’re using the QuDrive for live recording 18 tracks. Then, after the gig, you playback from the QuDrive and want to grab the LR mix from the multichannel recording via USB?

If you didn’t change the routing for USB Audio yet, you should have the original LR on channels 17&18, correct?

Easiest way to get those two tracks into your PC would be to just copy them from the QuDrive…

If you want to perform a mix from that recording on the Qu and then record the LR (still assuming default routes to 17&18), you have to pick streams 17&18 from the Qu inside your DAW.

If you’re still using Audacity and therefore stuck to the first pair of Qu streams, you’ll need to change the USB Routing on the desk for the first two to “LR L/R” instead of “CH1/2”. But remember to switch them back to “CH1/2″ when recording your next gig (or go for a 1:”LR L” 2:”LR R” 3:”CH1″ 4:”CH2″ etc. order)…

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

i did I only get sound if I use ST1L ST1R in place of channel 1 and 2 but then I can’t get any effects or be able to eq. Only way is to find a laptop with a mini 1/8 and plug into the 2 1/4 outs and capture. seems silly since I have usb want the same SIGNAL that is coming out of my XLRs to my studio monitors that’s all really simple request.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sorry, I’m lost.
    ST1L/R is a stereo input, if you want to record LR this is not your option…
    What did you dial in for the first two streams on the Usb Audio Patch (Setup->Output Patch->USB Audio)?
    Maybe you could add a screenshot…

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

I dont know how this got set but I found output patch monitor set 18 and 19 were st1L st1R I have them set to LRL and LRR now and changed the 23 24 to st1 L st1R

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not Output Patch->Monitor, this is feeding your MEs, we’re talking about Output Patch->USB Audio

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

1 is ST1L 2 is ST1R 3-16 are in normal positions same name, 17 is LRL 18 LRR and the last 3 pair are st1 2 ans 3
    i have audio on the win7 machine if I use st1 st2 for 1 and 2, i just changed something test now when I do recording it now sees 1-16 plus L post and R post if i start a recording

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

What signal do you get with ST1 selected on 1/2??? Did you try to dial in LRL/R on 1/2???
    Did you change a scene? Output Routing is part of the scene memory as well, maybe you want to check your Global Scene Filters (Manual 7.10 Scene Memories)…

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

scene Filter is empty

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

So maybe you want to block something there to avoid unexpected modifications on your setup when switching scenes?
    Remember that each scene memory contains the whole mixer setup, including routing and whatsoever, not only faders…
    If you’re using scene memories to switch between songs for a live band, for example, than its pretty unlikely you want to restore monitoring, output patches or channel names.
    There’s probably no golden rule for every button in the Global Filters, so you may want to get familiar with that screen and properly configure it for your needs before using scene memories…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.