recording L en R with Audacity

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting recording L en R with Audacity

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

I spend lots of time today to figure out how I can record L en R from a qu-drive recording on my MacBook using Audacity, just as it sounds trough the speakers.

It is working in a way, when I record 18 channels and remove the first 16 after the recording is finisched but here is no FX1 and FX2 involved in the sound recorded and that is actually the whole point: doing the mixing on the QU-16 and preserve it on my MacBook.

Hints, pointers and solutions are very welcome. Thanks in advance

Erik/

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just to confirm – you’re mixing on the QU, recording on the QuDrive and listening back using a laptop.

Should all be good, don’t even need to use the multitrack if you’re discarding it, QuDrive will do a stereo recording.

Were FX 1&2 returns up? Was anything routed to them?
    Could you hear the FX from the FOH speakers?

lesouvage
    Participant

Bob, thanks for the effort to respond to my question. The idea is that I use the 16 tracks for final mixing after the performance on the Qu-16. The FX1 en FX2 returns were up. The FX1 and FX2 could be heard over the headphone plugged in into the QU-16 I was using during my mixing activities and the headphone is getting louder when using the L / R fader so I assume that what I hear over the headphone is the same as the L / R channels as long as there is no PAFL button touched.

So what I’m aiming for is to simply record L in channel 1 of Audacity and R in L in channel 2. For now I miss Fx1 and Fx2 in the L /R recording and I have to record 18 tracks to get channel 17 and 18.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s odd.

Have you checked the QuDrive routing, IIRC it is 1-16,L,R by default and the L,R should contain that mix bus, i.e. what is pumped out of the FOH (although probably PreFade)

You mention recording in Audacity, which makes me wonder if you are using the USB connection to a computer rather than QuDrive…

In which case 1&2 can be made L&R by changing the USB routing on the appropriate menu. The QuDrive can have L,R,3-16,1,2 as easily as any other combination. That would also give the USB B connection L&R on inputs 1&2

lesouvage
    Participant

Bob, I use a USB cable to connect my MacBook with the Qu-16 mixing table. To be honest, until now I’m a bit scary to change default routings and settings because of unexpected results and problems to reverse the changes. I have to invest time in the near future to overcome my fear and to master myself in adjusting the table to my own needs. Can you please give a pointer on what the appropriate menu is.

This afternoon I will play around with yesterday recordings and try to find my way in the menu’s.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Manual section 8.14 page 59

The USB routing is independent from the console analogue routing. Playing is fairly easy…

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I’ve never been able to record anything besides channels 1&2 to audacity. I found a MP4 recorder that does the job for $20. The interface is a little hokey but it does the job. With it, you can choose any channel pair you want.
    https://tapedeckapp.com/

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I have had audacity do 18 channels on the QU16, not all of them useful, but it “just worked” under Debian.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I could never get just a stereo recording from the main L/R Buss. I guess if you add enough channels to your recording you will eventually have them all including the main out but I just wanted a stereo recording I could quickly burn to disk.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Route l&r to USB 1&2, then pick off two channels only?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Reading the manual should clarify things for you…no fear…
    Bob suggested a good solution…
    if Audacity can not configure the recording devices itself it should be done with the system control panel
    Core Audio on the Mac.

there should be a routing posibility as well instead of the QU

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Why not simply switch over from Audacity to Reaper when it comes to multitrack recordings? Compared to the cost of even a Qu16 the additional USD 60 registration fee (for individuals and small business) is nothing but you get a stable, low latency, lightweight, full customizable, VST aware, ASIO based recording situation on both Mac and PC…
    Was my first after-Qu purchase even that I am a longtime Samplitude user…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m with Andreas.
    you can even try Reaper for free.
    I tried the Audacity and it confused the heck out of me.
    Reaper just works with core audio and QU.
    Its worth the “time investment”
    If you watch some of the A&H sales videos they have REAPER on their mac screen.

just my 2 cents worth

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just a random question – can you get Audacity precompiled for ASIO nowadays, I recall when I last put it together on windows that I had to compile it myself – because of some licensing with ASIO maybe?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

ASIO is bound to a license incompatible to open source, so things still are complicated to get Audacity running with ASIO nowadays.
    …for me at least more “complicated” than just spending 60 bucks for Reaper and have fun…
    (did I already outed myself to be a programmer on several platforms with necessary tools ready to use???)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.