Recording from a GLD80

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Recording from a GLD80

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Boshton
    Dave Boshton
    Participant

Hi,

Just going to buy a GLD80 and wondering what recording options there are. Obviously over Dante, with the Dante card, Waves, via SoundGrid or Dante, but are there any other ways to record multitrack from the GLD80? I can’t find from the spec what are the USB outputs, for example (bar recording L-R to a USB stick).

So are there non-proprietary ways of multitrack recording/processing from a GLD80?

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi Dave,

USB recording on GLD only supports stereo from a bus assigned to the USB record in (eg. LR mix, stereo group, matrix, etc.)
    Multichannel recording directly to USB like with QuDrive on the QU series is not supported for GLD.

Best regards,
    Edi

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

That is correct. Multi channel recording is only supported by using a card in the extension bay.

USB recording is supported but limited to 2 channels. By default configured to record REC matrix, but in fact you are also able to record 2 mono groups or input channels. (Press assign in the Player / recorder screen).

Hope this helps you out.

regards,
    Pascal

Profile photo of Dave Boshton
    Dave Boshton
    Participant

Thanks for the info. So, more on the expansion cards; I can find the SoundGrid card and Dante card. Are there any others that allow multitracking/processing, maybe that also aren’t proprietary protocols that cost a rather large sum. A complete list of all would be super helpful, including proprietary ones.

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

Hi Dave,

I’ve no experience with other expansion card’s than Waves Soundgrid, which I use and find really great.
    You can have a look at https://www.allen-heath.com/series/gld-audio-networking/

Best regards,
    Edi

Profile photo of FBCW
    FBCW
    Participant

Madi isn’t proprietary, but it’s still expensive…

The benefit of Madi card is a physical word clock in or out.

Also, I have a set of Euphonix Madi converters that sound absolutely amazing so I’ll probably go Madi and pick up multitrack recording and 28 additional line level i/o sockets at the same time.

That’s the other big benefit of Madi. If you have stand alone Madi equipment or plan to ever use the card for physical I/o expansion, Madi has more hardware options available.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

We are recording multi track (currently 44 tracks) with the Dante card on our GLD 112 and it works great, also when simple recording is needed we have the USB setup on an Aux that also feeds an external digital recorded we had before the GLD.

Profile photo of beartech
    beartech
    Participant

Well Mrvoltz I see another post that makes me want to ask you a question. We have the GLD-112 with Dante and Pro Tools. It works great, but I am only able to record 32 tracks. I think PT is good to 64 tracks. am I missing something?

Profile photo of beartech
    beartech
    Participant

Oh, just found out I have a 32 track version of PT.

Profile photo of cygnusx-1
    cygnusx-1
    Participant

I know this is an old post. I also am on a gld 80 at our church. No Dante or anything like that. How exactly would you set up a bus for stereo recording? Just set up another bus like I use for In ears and make my mix there?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You can use an aux bus if you’d like but you can also use a matrix, or subgroup too. Route whatever bus that you choose to the USB record. The easiest way to do this is from the USB recorder/player page.

We use a matrix at our church which is fed from the Main L+R pre-fader. It works well for our purposes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.