Recording: Either USB-B or SQ Drive?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recording: Either USB-B or SQ Drive?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie WaihekeSoundie 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Am I correct that you can’t record to the SQ Drive AND stream to a DAW over USB-B at the same time?
    Or can you? (You can do this with QU yes?)

I’m a new SQ user – just upgraded from QU16 – and starting to get rather confused in a few areas to be honest.
    My SQ desk WAS allowing me to record to SQ Drive and and feed USB-B DAW but I was hearing clicks and pops on the DAW recording so I installed 1.5.1 firmware and I THINK I am not getting distortion on the USB-B feed to DAW anymore but I don’t think I can record to SQ Drive and USB-B simultaneously any more ? (Actually it says in the manual that you can’t so so I guess that’s right?)

Also can you advise please: I have a gig coming up that I’m being asked to record.
    I want to test whether I can record 18 channels safely to either SQ Drive or USB-B.. Is there some way that I can patch the local channels so they all get input from say ST1 (Tie Lines?? maybe) so I can put load on the USB / harddrive to test for clicks and pops.. or do I not need to do that: Maybe it is enough that if I patch all 18 channels to either USB-B or SQ Drive and record all of them even if no signal on their inputs for an extended period that I can be confident that actually recording the band’s signals will be ok if I don’t hear any clicks etc?

Sorry– prob really dumb questions..

It’s an awesome desk – but a little bit daunting after QU šŸ™‚

Thank you
    Andy

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

more possibilities make it more complex and difficult to understand

a stress test is a good idea as a preparation to a recording job

you can patch one input (or two in the sense of a stereo input) to multiple outputs easily

see the screenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Am I correct that you canā€™t record to the SQ Drive AND stream to a DAW over USB-B at the same time?

That is correct.

I want to test whether I can record 18 channels safely to either SQ Drive or USB-B

If you use USB B to a Laptop try to get the most CPU friendly application: IĀ“ve always had good results with Waves TracksLive. Choose the highest buffer size available to further lower the CPU load.
    If you use SQ Drive get a good SSD, like a seagate backup plus portable drive. ThatĀ“s what I use.

And in case you have an optional I/O card like the waves card (and you just didinĀ“t mention it…), use that as a redundant back up recording.

Cheers,
    AndrƩ

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Thank you guys,
    Much appreciated.

I have no optional i/o card sadly šŸ™

I use Reaper for recording– would this be considered CPU friendly ? (On an older (USB 2) Macbook). I will look into Waves TrackLive as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

The job I have coming up is a 5 piece band recording for a video- kinda “live on location” outside at a very fancy venue with an audience ie not in a studio..
    Not the most complex sound job in the world but slightly stressful because of the video and for me that recording is the focus which is a bit unusual for me.

In terms of workflow.. I certainly won’t be overdubbing and prob won’t even do many takes…
    Am not sure therefore which is better or safer: SQ Drive or USB-B..or which would offer me the best workflow?

I do notice that playback track loading can take a while to initiate with SQ Drive.. but maybe that doesn’t matter too much in this case… and that the SQ-Drive does not seem to have as many issues as USB-B..
    Is there a quick way to repatch the local inputs to replay the recording from the SQ Drive?

For the DAW option I like that I can see the files building in my DAW and watch levels and I can save on the fly and playback really quickly (at least a dry mix from the DAW).. those are all good aspects and the extra kit is not much.
    Perhaps it is better if I can convince myself that I can record cleanly.

What do you reckon?

I really, really appreciate the help you experienced folks give and hope to pay it forward in the future..
    Many thanks

Andy

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

I use Reaper for recordingā€“ would this be considered CPU friendly ?

I donĀ“t use reaper, so IĀ“m not sure.
    But it depends also on your settings in reaper. As I mentioned above, set the buffersize to the maximum value, close all other applications, switch off wifi, etc.

Am not sure therefore which is better or safer: SQ Drive or USB-B..or which would offer me the best workflow?

I would say SQ Drive with a tested SSD is safer, USB – B into your DAW of choice is more convenient, because you donĀ“t have to copy your files in your DAW afterwards.

For the DAW option I like that I can see the files building in my DAW and watch levels and I can save on the fly and playback really quickly

When recording to a SSD you can check the levels in the multitrack recording window of your SQ. Adjust the levels with trim in the routing screen of the corresponding channel. Press the Dir Out button and you will see the direct out trim. right next to direct out trim you can choose the direct out source.I usually choose post preamp. That way no processing will be recorded. This is a global setting.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What will the video crew be recording with.

Do they want multitrack audio so it can be remixed for video in post production
    or just a straight up stereo live board mix.

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi Andre,
    Thanks for those tips about the Direct Out trim and settings.. thank you

Hi Mike,
    Thanks .. i’m not sure yet what the video team will want- have asked..
    I suspect just a basic LR (during shoot) and then I will do at least an initial mix afterwards and give them that either as stems or a mix down – not sure yet but looking like I will do the final mix as well …

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.