Recording – Dumb questions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording – Dumb questions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur Digital-Dinosaur 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Multi-track recording of first live gig went really well. I’m amazed at the quality of the recording. So far I’ve only played it back through the mixer – but I’d like to transfer the recording to my laptop and then maybe adjust the mix and possibly add some effects – before generating a stereo file. I’m not looking to do anything fancy – however, I’m a total novice on this stuff. How do I transfer the recordings to my PC? Is it just a drag and drop type activity?

I have an ordinary PC laptop running Windows 7 (no special soundcards or special hard disks… just an ordinary PC). I guess I need some kind of editing software – but I don’t want to spend a fortune. Would Audacity do the job – or Reaper? Any advice on which one to use?

Many thanks.

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hi there,
    DAWs are a personal thing I suspect.. +1 for Reaper from me, I’ve used quite a few over the years– Reaper is a great product with nice balance of usability and depth and a good support community. And did I mention really cheap? 🙂 And you can download a trial .. is a as good a starting point as any I’d say..

And yep with Reaper create a project and just drag and drop the files from your QU’s hardrive onto the window– Reaper will ask you whether you want them on separate tracks– you do.. and you are good to go 🙂 You can get instructional material on Youtube and there are some 3rd party tutorials out there. You will prob need to take a look if you are totally new to DAWs.

Andy

Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Thanks, Andy. Very helpful.

Profile photo of Thunderbass1
    Thunderbass1
    Participant

+1 for Reaper too. I use Protools at work but happy with Reaper for all home business. Reaper also used as acquisition multitrack recorder in BBC radio OB fleet.

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

I love presonus studio one. Haven’t tried reaper.

Profile photo of cAPSLOCK
    cAPSLOCK
    Participant

I bought a Qu primarily and specifically for its ability to do multitrack capture without a damned computer. 😉

However, Reaper is the ONLY daw software I would trust for multitrack capture in the field. It is that stable.

Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

Thanks for the info., cAPSLOCK. I won’t be using Reaper for capture… I’ll be capturing with the QU and then using Reaper (or something else) to edit the tracks, add effects, change mix etc. I guess, with all the positive comments about Reaper, I’ll be getting that. :o)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.