Recording "Dry" Tracks in Qu-Drive Multitrack

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Recording "Dry" Tracks in Qu-Drive Multitrack

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jim C Jim C 10 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I recorded a show last night using the Qu-Drive Multitrack Direct to Drive. When I listened this morning I was surprised to hear all the dynamic processing had been recorded along with the tracks. Unfortunately, when I recorded it, I was working with the Qu-Pad Remote App and couldn’t cue up the drums in the headphones. As a result, the recorded, gated drum tracks are less than ideal.

I was poking around the menus and manual looking for a way to record “Dry Tracks” on the USB Buss. Under Routing -> Channel Routing, there is a Listbox labeled “Global Direct Output Settings”. You can select different points along the signal chain from the drop-down.

Will this change the source for the Qu-Drive? If so, will it also change the source for the effect sends? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of G Lee
    G Lee
    Participant

No it will not change anything other than the point it sends to the qu-drive. I send post preamp and all ya get is dry signal what the mic hears. the rest of the board is not affected.

Gary

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

I myself was a bit confused first time setting up a recording with Qu-16, as I was used to select global direct out from iLive Port B patching recording via MADI or Dante. As Gary wrote the signal for recording/streaming to USB is post preamp and not to be changed. The new block diagram in latest manual (rel. 1.3) gives a clear picture on that.
    I myself would prefer to take the signal for USB recording similar to iLive Port B handling, which is global direct out, or having the chance to set the signal point post gate/eq/delay for recording send. But this is nice to have, not a critical CR.
    A great feature is to be able to patch the sources for recording with Firmware 1.3, well done A&H!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

With current firmware V1.2, the Direct Out option does not affect Qu-Drive. Qu-Drive multitrack recording is sourced from the channel Insert sends (pre processing as detailed in the block diagram), so what Martin is reporting is strange. We cannot replicate here.

A global option to select either Insert sends or Direct Outs for Qu-Drive is on our list for future firmware versions, as posted elsewhere in this forum.

mamerica
    Participant

Just to be clear, “Direct Output” routes to the USB-B connector on the back of the mixer, to the ME Personal Monitor Via the D-Snake and also to an Effect, if the Effect is set for a single channel. The insert point is global. Meaning if it is changed, it affects all of the above.

But none of those things affect the Q-Drive USB-A Port on the top of the mixer. That signal comes “Hard Wired” from the channel pre.

I just want to make sure I understand. I did a search of the manual and it doesn’t really define “Direct Output”. It’s a very versatile mixer and with versatility comes complexity. I thrive on this stuff!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

ust to be clear, “Direct Output” routes to the USB-B connector on the back of the mixer, to the ME Personal Monitor Via the D-Snake and also to an Effect, if the Effect is set for a single channel. The insert point is global. Meaning if it is changed, it affects all of the above.

Not quite. At the moment:
    Direct Outs (follow global option) go to the ME-1 via dSNAKE, and can be patched to the FX.
    Ch Insert sends (fixed pre processing) go to Qu-Drive Multitrack and USB B.

Hope this helps.

mamerica
    Participant

I would like to edit or delete my original post. Turns out the recording is just fine. I’m embarrassed to say this was completely operator error. My Bad! I hope it didn’t cause any unnecessary work for the good folks at A&H.

Profile photo of Jim C
    Jim C
    Participant

I’d like to know what the operator error is because I’m making it at the moment!

mamerica
    Participant

Jim,
    The “Operator Error” I was referring to was when I played back the tracks, all the gating and compression that I had applied to the live tracks the night before was all still on and applied to the tracks being played back. But since the signal level was different, it sounded terrible. I thought it was recorded that way. It wasn’t. Multitrack is always recorded dry. It was a stupid mistake.

Profile photo of Jim C
    Jim C
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

I understand that playing the recording back through the QU will still apply compression and gating if they are still on the relevant channel. What is confusing me is that reverb and delay are still appearing on the playback track even if the fx1 and fx2 sends are muted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.