Recording Dante comparison

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Recording Dante comparison

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jack_AH Jack_AH 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

Anyone notice dlive with Dante card degrades sound quality a bit.

I recorded a vocal with a ulxd, same performance. Level matched.

One track was ulxd > Dante > mixrack > direct out to MacBook Pro. Staying digital all the way.

Other track was ulxd > Dante > MacBook Pro.

The straight ulxd to MacBook Pro sounded much better. More high end, more open. Sounded exactly like the mic I used.

The track that went through the mixrack had less information in the high, less presence and almost sounded a little compressed in the high end.
    Is something wrong with my mixrack?
    I’ll post files soon.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What was your pick point from the channel to your Dante Card?
    Use the tie lines or make sure Global Direct Output Source is set to “Post Preamp”.

Likely the channel settings are changing the tone.

Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

Global direct out was post preamp

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You were going Dante into your MacBook in both cases?

Profile photo of Alu
    Alu
    Participant

Yes, Dante in both cases.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

I see others on Facebook have already suggested you are sample rate converting to 96k in the dLive and down to 48k again to Dante.
    Recording 96k over Dante from dLive, and playing back tracks for virtual soundcheck, I have never experienced a drop in audio quality or HF content.

Profile photo of Jack_AH
    Jack_AH

So just to follow up here, as we’ve been having a conversation about this on Facebook.

I just wanted to update those interested in the thread that we have been investigating this report over the past few days at A&H.

We have confirmed that the anti-aliasing filter on the M-DANTE card being used by Aaron (this is the iLive/GLD style card that requires an adapter to use with dLive) affects the frequency response starting at 19kHz. There is little to no reduction below 19kHz.

What we have found in the process of investigating this, is that the newer DANTE 96kHz cards, when running in 48kHz mode, have a less aggressive filter, which starts much earlier with a 1db reduction at 14kHz increasing to around 2dB at 20kHz then significantly increasing afterwards. We have identified a fix, which will be released in an upcoming version of firmware. There is no current ETA, but this is not expected to take a significant amount of time.

Please note the above only affects the DANTE 96kHz cards. The M-DANTE is unaffected.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.