Recording at 48 khz with SQ5 at 48 khz

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recording at 48 khz with SQ5 at 48 khz

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterlanders peterlanders 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

I would like to know if there is a method to set the internal clock of the SQ5 to 48 khz. I noticed that when you connect the mixer to a daw via the usb b, you can not set the recording to 48 khz without having problems of overloading the daw.
    I would like to record at 48 khz instead of 96 khz.
    Thank you.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

I use a dante card for recording at 48khz.

I also can record more then 32 channels.

You can clock the dante card at 96khz or 48 khz. The card makes the sample rate concersion.

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

I do not use additional cards to register.
    I use the USB B port integrated in the SQ5 mixer.
    thank you

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

You need either the Dante or the Waves card, in order to record at 48KHz.

The console it self are locked to 96KHz, and are not able to change.
    (as far as I know it is hardware locked, so it is not even possible in a firmware update)

Profile photo of Gyuri
    Gyuri
    Participant

Indeed, with a Dante card 48KHz works perfect. Up to 48 channels play/record

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

ok…
    so I understand that if I want to work at 48 khz I have to have an additional card …
    I must say that it does not seem a brilliant idea …
    but I will adapt …

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

And why is recording at 96 kHz not a suitable way for you? You can do a SRC after the recording if you like.

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

The 96 khz projects create very large files and, in my opinion, the audible difference between 96 khz and 48 khz does not justify such heavy files. The difference in sound makes it the quality of the converters and of the clock.
    If you have to record many tracks at the same time, having lighter files makes the recording more reliable…

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

The SQ’s 96 kHz processing isn’t only about getting an audible difference (because you’re right, there really isn’t much of one—not for that particular reason, at least). Rather, it’s what enables the really low latencies of the console.

So it’s a trade off. Build a mixer that has the power needed to deliver those low latencies, and that also can handle simultaneous duties as a 32×32 audio interface. That’s a lot of data to move around! So, they left the sort of post-processing you’re asking for to you. Give you the best possible recordings they can (notwithstanding the various USB issues people have reported, which, for me at least, seem to be a thing of the past with 1.3) and you can do whatever you want with them once they’re safely stored.

As long as you make sure you’ve got a compatible drive or computer with plenty of space, the recordings will be reliable.

If 48 kHz is really all you can deal with, there’s still the Qu, but I know that doesn’t help if you’ve already got the SQ.

Profile photo of TonmeisterDaniel
    TonmeisterDaniel
    Participant

Hey,

I recorded hours over hours 48khz multi track files with sq with no single issue. I use the usb b connection to a MacBook Pro using Logic Pro X. Set the project settings to 48khz.

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

Just a warning, TonmeisterDaniel, that what you’re doing there is having Logic do the sample rate conversion on the fly (in software) while recording, which might lead to the sort of reliability issues Poli84 is worried about. The SQ itself only delivers 96 kHz over USB.

Better to do your live recording at the SQ’s native resolution and then do the conversion later (even while bouncing).

Of course, it’s entirely possibly your computer is more than fast enough to do the realtime conversion safely, but still.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.