Record less than 18 channels?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Record less than 18 channels?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gilly gilly 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

Let’s say I only want to record 8 channels using the QU USB. Is there a way to record less than 18 channels.
    It seems like a waste of disk space to always have to record 18.
    Any help on this is appreciated.
    THANKS,
    AB

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

I wanna this feature too. Should be able to x it out.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

I suppose this is your way of saying that I cannot do this now? What sayeth A&H people? Can I do this? Is this in the works for a firmware update. This is a serious issue.
    THANKS,
    AB

Profile photo of timhum
    timhum
    Participant

Although it is a waste of disc space when recording, the unused channels can be disposed of when importing into your computer for mixing down. Even using the QU for remixing, the same memory stick can be used, then used again once the project is over. Memory is relatively cheap.
    If you archive all your multi tracks, I agree, it is a waste of memory and a firmware update to record fewer tracks would be useful.
    It occurs to me that uprating the firmware a couple of times a year is a very good way to increase the usefulness of a product and keep it at the cutting edge using users suggestions without having to design a new product every few years from the ground up.
    There are workarounds for just about any scenario but an elegant software solution is much more attractive. Until the CPU is gasping for breath and reliability is a problem.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

Thanks for your help. If I do not stop the record, will it record hour after hour or does it have a time limit or GB limit?
    If it has no GB limit, then I can use my 1 TB external drive, record for a good 3 to 4 hours and be in good shape.

THANKS,
    AB

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

There is a time limit, because the FAT system has a ?2GB file size limit.

That’s plenty of hours though.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I couldn’t remember if it’s 2 or 4 either! Turns out it’s 4GB. This gives about 8 hours for multitrack.

All you need to know is here:

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/774/0/qu-drive–understanding-qu-drive-and-usb

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I think it’s a 2TB partition size limit and a 4GB file limit.

I was wondering why they didn’t just do an 18 track wav (pretty sure the format supports it) and the answer is, of course, that we’d be limited to approximately 25 minutes per file. Of course a different file system would have had different limits, but that’s beyond the scope of this discussion.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

I read in the QU-24 user manual that for multitrack recording you should use a USB HDD hard drive and not a USB key/stick??

I have a 32 GB USB stick.
    I need to record a 30 minute maxworship service. So with a 8.64 MB/min = 259 MB = 0.26 GB. I reckon my stick should work for this small amount of multitrack recording? Would you agree?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Which stick. The issue is continuous write speed.

The forum recommendation in the Sandisk extreme.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…it is 8.6MB/min per track, so for 30 minutes with 18 Tracks you’ll get 4.6GBytes…
    Anyway, as Bob said: Critical factor is a required continuous write speed of about 5MB/sec, not that many USB sticks can properly handle that. The Sandisk Extreme does it.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

If this chart is true – it is not 4 gb for 18 tracks. It is 9 gbs for 18 tracks in an hour. If there is a 2 or 4gb file limit, do new files automatically get created and fit together or is there a gap? This could be a pain.

Mono

Formula:
    Bits per sample x samples per second = bits per second / 8 = Bytes per second x 60 seconds = Bytes per minute x 60 minutes = Bytes per hour of mono.

Settings Bitrate File size
    per second File size
    File size
    minute per hour
    16 bit, 44.1 KHz 705.6 Kbps 88.2 KB 5.292 M 317.52 MB
    16 bit, 48 KHz 768 Kbps 96 KB 5.750 MB 345.60 MB
    24 bit, 48KHz 1,152 Kbps 144 KB 8.640 MB 518.40 MB
    24 bit, 96KHz 2,304 Kbps 288 KB 17.280 MB 1.0368 GB
    Stereo

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The 18 tracks are all individual files, no ide what happens past the file size limit, but I guess bad things.

Profile photo of AB7
    AB7
    Participant

So I put in a 1 tb USD drive. It says about 8 hours of recording left. That is very good news. I am letting it run. I will see if it splits files or just makes really long ones!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

9GB per hour = 4.5GB per half an hour, where’s the problem?
    Recording hopefully simply stops without bad sideeffects. The Qu does not create a new bunch of files automatically.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.