Recall Filters – effect on preamp gain levels for virtual soundcheck

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recall Filters – effect on preamp gain levels for virtual soundcheck

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tom Tom 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Hi Folks

Using an SQ6

I am creating scenes for a virtual soundcheck and have a question regarding Preamp levels.

Scenario – Three scenes
    1. Live scene – main scene used for Multi-track recording as well thru USB-B to reaper on a computer.
    2. MT Playback I-O Scene – Select this scene after the MT recording is complete. I only want the I-O to change so everything else is blocked using a recall filter.
    3. Live I-O scene – Finished setting things up using the MT recording and want to set the I-O back so everything is blocked except the I-O again using a recall filter.

Observation
    When I set the recall filter for either scene that just changes the I-O and block the Preamp but allow the Patch for Inputs, the inputs do not come in. I have to unblock the Preamp to get the input patching to come. in. There are no Global filters or Channel safes set, only using the recall filter. I tried this multiple times on the console but then tried it many times on SQ Mixpad with the same results.

What I would like to see
    Step 1 – set the preamp gains when the band is on stage.
    Step 2 – Select Playback scene to change the I-O so during playback from the DAW the preamp gains are already set and digital trim is 0 and wont need to be changed at this stage.
    Step 3 – Any mixing/processing changes that need to be made based on the recording are made.
    Step 4 – Select the Live I-O scene so the I-O is changed back and the preamps stay at their current levels, ready for the band to be live.

Questions
    1 – Am I wrong in assuming I can keep the Preamp levels that were set during soundcheck thru the MT recording and then back to live? If so, some insight would be very welcome.

Comment – I know I can use input libraries but they do not affect the Output changes required and I want to be able to recall scenes thru Bitfocus companion on a tablet to make everything happen in a couple of buttons (Sets up reaper the directories and project files, selects the scene on the SQ, and has transport buttons for record and playback). I have this working well but still need to fiddle with the preamp gains at each stage – rehearsal, playback then Live. I don’t have a lot of experience with this, perhaps this is normal but I just find it awkward and perhaps I missed what is suppose to happen all together.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Tom

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

if you are using tie lines for the recording, there is no need to reassign the outputs for the virtual sound check

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Thank you Steffen, I will definitely check that out. I am not exactly sure how to make this work yet but when I get to the setup again I look forward to playing with it.

Tom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.