read-only feature for Qu-Pad application

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions read-only feature for Qu-Pad application

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nakajima Nakajima 5 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nakajima
    Nakajima
    Participant

Hi, I am a newcomer here.
    I want read-only feature for Qu-Pad application.

I’m working at a local club. In the club we are using Qu-32.
    And I am studying the operation of Qu-32 and Qu-PAD.
    I am not a mixer operator yet. Currently the club’s senior staff is operating Qu-32.

Because I am a stage staff now, during the show, I’m waiting in the back stage.
    I want to messing around with Qu-PAD application at that time.
    I would like to observe and learn how senior staff manipulates Qu-PAD during the show.

However, since I am still a beginner, I am worried about misoperation of the Qu-PAD application during the show.
    So, I thought it would be safe if Qu-PAD had a read-only function.

It is like an observation mode.
    In this mode, the operator can access all screens, but can not operate them.

If Qu-PAD application have such a function,
    I will be able to safely observe the Qu-Pad’s screen during the show and I will learn a lot.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Use QuPad in demo mode

Profile photo of Dancing Brook
    Dancing Brook
    Participant

He wants to observe what the engineer does.

I’m going to suggest you aren’t going to learn much watching a QU-Pad. 1) There are multiple screens so the read only would have to mirror the engineer’s screen all the time. 2) There is a lot more to learn than you can get by watching.

That said, you might find an app or ability that will mirror the engineers iPad (assuming they use an iPad), but I doubt you’ll find A & H is going to spend time building that into Qu-Pad

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

1. The app/console interface is not what you imagine it to be.

2. Even if it works as you not so correctly assume, observing console manipulations/adjustments without knowing the reason for any changes is not likely to give you much real information. You’d have to know the WHY behind the action for context.

Nakajima
    Participant

Thank you for your opinion.
    Certainly, I do not think this is the best method to learn the operation of the mixer.
    I think that “operating the mixer by myself” is the best exercise method.
    Actually, sometimes, I operate and practice Qu32 on club’s non-business days.
    However, I think “knowing the inside of the Qu-PAD screen during the show” should be useful as one of information for studying.

Currently, my position is a stage man. I can not see or touch the mixer or talk with engineer during the show.
    So at least, I want to observe iPAD and study what he is doing in mixer.
    If the engineer was doing an operation unknown to me, I would ask him about the operation and the reason after the show.

Even from the stage staff’s point of view, there are lots of information available from Qu-PAD.
    If the stage staff have Qu-PAD installed iPAD, stage staff can check the channel number and mute state of them at any time.
    These information are also useful for setting up on the stage.

I know that Qu32 can be operated from multiple iPADs. (I confirmed this feature.)
    But during the show, I would like to enable engineer’s iPAD only.
    I want other iPAD inoperable state (read only mode) for misoperation prevention.

And, about the method of monitoring,
    I think that there is no need to constantly monitor the engineer’s iPAD screen in real time. (It does not have to be a real-time monitor like VNC.)
    I just want the normal operation style with the modes that do not affect mixer parameters.
    Like normal mode, I want to access any screen at any time.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I’m sorry to say that this scheme of yours is very impractical, theoretically unsound (pun not intended, but a good one) and poses potential operational problems for the actual engineer(s).

I would certainly not want anyone on my crew mucking about on the network during a live show. That would be a firing offense.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

if Logged in as basic user, can you see what’s going on. I think basic user can be set to only move faders,, which is close to what you want, but can you then see what else is going on?

Not sure how much help this will be though. If FOH tech decides to adjust comp on the bass, you’re not going to see that, unless you happen to be looking at the bass page. Same if they alter an effect etc – you’ll only see it if you’re looking at that page…..

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

It seems to me the TS would be best served with a system that’s often used on f.i. YouTube where you get a mirror image of their iPad, iPhone or whatever.

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I think your best bet would be some one on one time with said club sound person (provided they actually know what’s going, some do….some don’t).

I don’t know what level of shows your club host but maybe pick a show night that’s not as
    involved and job shadow the sound person at the mixer.

Now again I know nothing about your club but if it’s a situation where the sound person has everyone in management believing they are the only person who can do that job even if they are really totally clueless about running sound, I’m sorry to say but you may be in for an uphill battle.

Nakajima
    Participant

Thank you for your various opinions. The problem is now solved for me.
    I did a little practice about Qu-PAD operation and I got permission from the engineer to operate Qu-PAD in the backstage during the show.

In my working club, only one engineer was operating iPAD and Qu 32. But, from now on, stage staff will also operate additional iPAD.
    (Of course it’s a very partial operation.)

Until now, if stage staff wanted to mute and unmute microphones and DIs, stage staff had to ask an engineer to do that.
    But now it is possible for stage staff to manipulate them themselves.
    This is an improvement in work efficiency, and I think that it will also be an operation practice of Qu-PAD for stage staff.
    I will do my best to be careful about Misoperation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.