Re-gain – allows you to trim hot inputs without changing the mix!

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Re-gain – allows you to trim hot inputs without changing the mix!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

MixStation Pro for my Behringer can do this.

You enter ‘re-gain’ mode then when you adjust a channel’s gain, all the related channel levels (in Auxs, FOH etc) get conversley altered as well as all the thresholds on any compressor, gate, limiter or anything else that is level sensitive.

So if you want to drop a socket’s gain by 6dB, you can do so and all the faders and sends and everything else are raised 6dB at the same time and all the thresholds for compressors etc. are lowered 6dB.

This effectively allows you to adjust a channel’s gain mid show without affecting that channel’s level anywhere!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

It would be better if gain adjusted the digital trim like it does with dLive (gain tracking), instead of adjusting all of the mix levels.

+1

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

That’s a very good shout.

+1 for that method although sometimes you may be adjusting because you want more headroom on your faders and this wouldn’t sort that.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You can still do that. The gain tracking can be switched on or off in the preamp section, and when it is ON, and you adjust the gain, it has the trim automatically adjust in the opposite direction by the same amount (1 db reduction in gain, increases trim by 1 db).

However, you can also adjust the trim independently without changing the gain. The tracking only follows when the gain is changed, not the reverse.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

That is a total revelation to me, Scott! Game changer!!

But

I can’t see it in the manual or the screenshots anywhere. Are you sure this is available on the SQ? I don’t have my desk in front of me.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

No, it is not currently available on SQ, only on Avantis and dLive. I was just pointing out that it would be a great addition to SQ, if it operated in the same way as it’s bigger siblings.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Ah – that makes sense. You got me all excited there for a moment LOL!.

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

+1 for gain tracking 🙂

Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

+1 for gain tracking!

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Mixing Station works for that. I use it all the time to keep board recordings from clipping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.