Rasberrry Pi and Editor

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Rasberrry Pi and Editor

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of `Seablade `Seablade 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jb12string
    jb12string
    Participant

Has anyone tried running editor off of a raspberry pi? I am guessing it might need and intermediate program, but I wanted to see if anyone had done it.

jb12string
    Participant

So, I guess I should take that as a no then…

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I doubt many people have experience of running Editor from linux, let alone a Raspberry Pi running Linux. However, I have separate experience of each.

Remember that there will be no offline mode under a non-windows platform, and Linux is not an officially supported platform at all.

My initial guess would be that you need more horsepower! The metering in particular will probably take a lot of CPU time.

jb12string
    Participant

I wouldn’t need offline mode, for this particular application, we are looking at using it to mix 1 stereo aux for a recording feed. Have you used any of the Model 2, B’s? They are supposed to have 6x the processing capacity that the previous models.

Profile photo of `Seablade
    `Seablade
    Participant

Double posted in two threads, as I didn’t even know the first one I posted in existed until I posted in it and realized it wasn’t this thread:)

For the record:

You CAN run the iLive editor on a Raspberry Pi 3. The window refreshes are a bit slow (So dragging windows and scroll bars) but other than that thus far it seems fine, though I have only done it for a few minutes. A few things to note:

Java is installed by default on the RPi these days.
    The installer however is a compiled ELF32, so it will not run on the raspberry Pi. Simple to fix by installing on a different x86 machine running linux, (Requires a 32 bit version of glibc, so libc6-i386 on Ubuntu for instance is the package you will need) and then zipping/tarring up the folder structure and moving it to the RPi user in the same place. After unzipping/untarring it the shell script should work fine to launch the software.

Takes a few seconds to start up, but I got it connected and operating on my iLive through the wired connection. The plan is to attach it to a screen for one of my techs so he has a meterbridge in front of him constantly as we run a digital split and I am needing to make sure gains stay sensible. So yea for cheap meterbridge. Still on the lookout for alternatives though, but in the meantime figured I would let y’all know it does in fact work, albiet with some pretty minor caveats.

Seablade

jb12string
    Participant

How do I find the Linux version of editor?

`Seablade
    Participant

I have a feeling I may be missing something given how simple the answer is to what I think you are asking…

Download it from the iLive site. It can be found right next to the OS X and Windows versions. Not sure where else you would look for it.

jb12string
    Participant

Ha, nevermind. I am not a native linux user, I have a friend who is going to help me with it, he didn’t see the editor download and I looked and saw the release notes up top and didn’t click the tab down below. I got it now 😉

Profile photo of Dougmeister
    Dougmeister
    Participant

Seablade, I’m trying to do the same thing. I think I got glibc installed. I typed:

sudo apt-get install libc6-i386

in a terminal window. It complained, then suggested I run this, which worked:

sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 –fix-missing

Now I need to install the actual iLive editor. What is the command line for that?

`Seablade
    Participant

Well that is the catch. You have to run the installer on a x86 linux system (Raspberry Pi is ARM) where it will put the directory structure in your home directory. You can then just copy that directory structure over to the raspberry pi.

If Allen and Heath ok it, I will post a link to the zip file or tar.gz already installed that should work you can put on the raspberry pi to skip having to run the actual installer.

Seablade

Profile photo of Dougmeister
    Dougmeister
    Participant

I have a dual-boot Windows 8/Ubuntu 15.10 machine with an Intel I3 CPU. That should work, shouldn’t it?

I just don’t know how to run the installer. I double-click it in Ubuntu and I get:

“Could not display ‘iLive Editor V1.94-Linux-x86-Install’. There is no application installed for ‘executable files’. Do you want to search for an application to open this file?”

Edit: it *is* a 64-bit CPU and Ubuntu install… that is still okay, isn’t it?

`Seablade
    Participant

Ahh ok, likely the fix is you need to enable executable permissions. If you are at all familiar with the terminal, you would…

chmod +x ~/Downloads/iLive\ Editor\ V1.94-Linux-x86-Install
    ~/Downloads/iLive\ Editor\ V1.94-Linux-x86-Install

This makes assumptions, one that your download is in your Downloads folder, and two that it is in fact called ‘iLive Editor V1.94-Linux-x86-Install’

Now you may need to install the 32 Bit compatibility libs, I can’t remember off hand honestly, but try without first.

Seablade

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.