QuSb fx routing help please

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QuSb fx routing help please

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dove
    dove
    Participant

Hi

I have a QUSb and am pretty familiar with it now but no matter how I try I can’t seem to set up fx send and returns without fx bleed back into fOH or monitor mixes, I’ve tried evrything. Basically I want to be able to apply and manage different amounts of rev/dly to the FOH mix and the monitor mixes. Howevre I configure it the fx always seems to ghost in speakers where it shouldn’t be.Have tried shared effects pre/post to mix,to channel etc. and also fx1+2 for fOH and fx 3+4 for monitors. Any help appreciated

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @dove

There are 4 FX units in the Qu which can either be inserted on individual channels or used as send/return as it sounds like you are doing here.
    When used as send/return, you are summing together input signals with the send bus which are then fed into the FX unit as one signal, just as when signals are summed to a mix and they came out of one socket (or two for a stereo mix).
    After being processed by the FX engine this signal is fed back to the FX return channel and from there this wet/effected/FX signal can be sent to the main LR mix or any other mix to blend in with the dry/unprocessed/original signals.

So to prevent hearing an FX engine in a particular monitor, with the mix selected and showing on faders, you would either bring down the FX return level for that FX engine, or unassign the FX return entirely.

What it’s not possible to do (and the reason for explaining what’s going on with the signals), is have different FX return signals for each monitor from the same FX engine. That is to say, you would not be able to have two singers with a monitor each and both their vocals going to FX1, and then have each monitor give each singer only their own (dry) vocal along with only their own FX – They can have their own dry signal, but because you can’t split that single FX return signal (signals were combined before they went in), it will be the same signal (albeit at different levels) in both monitors.

It’s a little tricky to explain, so feel free to ask me to try again if that doesn’t make sense!

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Think of the FX return channel exactly like any other input channel in how you can route them.

While on the FX return channels go to the send on fader for each mix and check the send levels. If any of those are up you will be sending FX to the selected mix.
    If none of the send levels are up the FX will only go to the main LR mix.

Check and double check that you do not have the FX send level turned up or even turned on /assigned to itself as in sending an FX return back into it self.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Also, and this happens to me and my little Qu-SB more often than not, when I start the mixer up my effects are always audible, even if I have all the returns on a dca which is pulled back + muted at that time. Un- and then remuting the dca resolves the issue.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Also, and this happens to me and my little Qu-SB more often than not, when I start the mixer up my effects are always audible, even if I have all the returns on a dca which is pulled back + muted at that time. Un- and then remuting the dca resolves the issue.

Is the FX returns and or the DCA muted at the time the mixer is powered down?

Profile photo of dove
    dove
    Participant

Thanks guys that’s a big help.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

@ Mike C, yes, always. Weird huh ?

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just to ask the question are you going through the mixer shutdown before powering off?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Yes, all by the book.

I don’t really care, I know how to solve it. It was just the few first times where people started complaining about reverb and delay coming from everywhere that I was confused because my screen told me this wasn’t possible. Being a novice “digital soundguy” then that was a bit unnerving.

Giga

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.