QuPad – Touchy Screeny Issues (IOs)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QuPad – Touchy Screeny Issues (IOs)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Freeza
    Freeza
    Participant

Hi all,

Tried to dig around in here before posting this one and couldn’t find anything related.

Summary.
    Two iPads (one Air2, and a 2nd standard iPad/6th gen I believe, but will verify – IOs is 15.x on both from memory) exhibiting the same behaviour when using QuPad to connect to Qu-mixers (16, SB). (All Qu fw up to date)

With a standard dual band AP/Router configured I can connect to and gain access to control either of the Qu units over WiFi.

The same problem manifests on both iPads running QuPad in that if either of these are connected to a charger while connected to the Qu system, control from the iPad becomes very difficult.
    Faders in QuPad cannot be gestured correctly (ie they are difficult to move) and act as though they have been double tapped, causing the ‘Copy / Reset’ dialogue to be presented when you want to move a simple fader.

Note: This only ever seem to happen when the iPad is plugged into a power source while running QuPad.

Use of an external battery power bank also causes this behaviour, so it seems it be charging of iPad devices in general

Disconnecting the iPad from the charger – QuPad control returns to normal.

I generally try to use Guided access mode from IOS accessibility options to keep the QuPad app open & in focus without turning the screen off at events – Regardless though, if I use guided access or not for QuPad, the same issue occurs when plugging/charging the iPad while trying to control the system.

Any ideas gladly welcomed – I find my Qu’s robust in general apart from this slight problem which can hamper proceedings at long duration events.

Cheers,

L

Profile photo of Freeza
    Freeza
    Participant

Help! So, same issue with this weekend events.

I’ll try to upload a video (or a link too) of this issue but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime – fire em over as it becomes a regular event that I need to charge the iPad prior to the main act kicking off.

Cheers,

L

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Freeza

I have the same problem but I don’t think it is an A&H app fault. I have experienced this iPad issue for a year or two when on charge and regardless of what app I am using. I have the 1st and 2nd edition iPad Air from 2014 & 15. iPad Air 2 running latest IOS.

Although, at the weekend at an event I was doing sound for, my monitor engineer who was using the older of my two iPads didn’t complain about the above fault and he had his iPad plugged in charging throughout the act’s sets. So possibly it doesn’t affect the very oldest iPads?

Cheers

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Freeza

Using the information you’ve provided, we have tried and failed to reproduce the issue you describe.
    If this was something related to the Qu hardware, firmware or Qu-Pad app, then with the number of units around the world being used every day, I’m fairly sure we would have had other reports of this and we have not.

Which leads me to think it’s something going on with the router/AP or cables (as although I can reproduce similar issues with restricted touch areas in guided access, I see you’ve tried with and without this enabled on the iPad).
    Because this happens with a power bank, it doesn’t sound like it can be a grounding issue but as it’s power related I wonder if there’s something affecting the touch sensitivity of your iPad.
    Have you tried with different power/USB/lightning cables?
    Does the issue show up in any other apps?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Freeza
    Freeza
    Participant

For some reason my last response to you both isn’t showing on this thread.

I have done some serious testing today and believe I may have found the issue.

Router, usb cables (type a and c, official and cheaper alternatives) all tested and exhibited the same problem when the iPad Air is plugged into a charger.

Try this to verify though if you could.

Use an iPad out of its case so you hold the pad with its rear/bare (oooh err) chassis to your left/right hand and plug the unit into a charger while connected to a Qu. – Everything should operate as expected.

If I use an iPad case that insulates/separates my left hand skin contact from the iPad chassis say and propped the cased I pad up so only my fingers touch the screen while the unit is on charge, this seems to be when the problems occurs.

Hand capacitance grounding issue, plus I have dry fingers.

This seems to manifest more on older iPads though ie my Air2, the 6th gen does suffer sometimes but nowhere near as much as when using the air2.

Would be interested if you get the same results though?

Cheers

L

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Freeza,

I did in fact see your last post as I get email notifications so everything you wrote was contained in the said email, although not showing up on the forum.

If I get chance today I will see if I experience the same issues.

Cheers
    Lee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.