QuPad and MIDI

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions QuPad and MIDI

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

I’m a bass player, and on smaller gigs where we don’t hire a sound man I end up running sound from the stage. Not ideal, but it is what it is. On the gig, I generally want to be looking at an app on my iPad called BandHelper. That’s got lyrics, chord charts, sets lists, etc.

QuPad is also running on the same iPad, but usually in the background. I only flip over to it if I need to adjust the level of something, and then I flip back to BandHelper.

I’ve got another app also running on the same iPad, which is Luminiar (a lighting controller app). A great thing about Luminair is that BandHelper is able to send MIDI commands directly to the Luminair app (running in the background) to change the lighting setup. So I don’t have to flip over to the Luminair app ever, I just pick the next song in BandHelper and my lights change according to how I’ve programmed the MIDI commands for that song. It’s like magic!

I would love to see a similar feature added to QuPad. Allow other iPad apps to connect to QuPad and send MIDI commands which reconfigure QuPad’s settings (fader levels, channel mutes, FX setup, scene selection, etc.). That would allow me to use BandHelper to control both lights AND sound on a per song basis. When I select the next song in the set list, MIDI commands would get sent to both Luminair and QuPad to set them up as the song requires.

As it is, I have to flip over to QuPad, login, do what I need to do, then flip back to bandhelper. All while also being ready to play the next song. That makes for a long night. LOL

My short term workaround is going to be getting my hands on a Camera Connection Kit and hardwiring my iPad to the USB input on the QuPac mixer. But then I’ll be tethered to the mixer, which is a problem.

Thanks for your consideration, A&H. You guys make great stuff!

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

BTW – I’m also open to any other workarounds anyone has to offer. Reading the MIDI protocol document, I was initially optimistic that I’d be able to send MIDI commands straight to the mixing board (a QuPac) from BandHelper over the same wifi link that I use to communicate between QuPad and the QuPac. But at this point, I don’t think that is actually possible. I think QuPad has already opened the port used to send MIDI over TCP, so I’m unable to open a second socket to that port for BandHelper to use.

I’ve also considered trying some of the tiny Bluetooth-to-USB dongles that are available. That could possibly do it, although most of those talk about needing a driver which causes me doubts given the non-PC/non-Mac environment.

For now, hardwired it is. But long term I’d love to cut the cord one way or another.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

The QuPad app uses a custom protocol, not MIDI over TCP.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Bome Box speaks A&H protocol over ethernet, USB, and 9 pin MIDI, and can translate commands as a standalone device. I’m using it to run sends on my Qu32 with a Behringer BCR controller.

Profile photo of Onemoarcherry
    Onemoarcherry
    Participant

Almost same) it is really cool when app can receive midi commands from controller, another app or wifi

i’d like qu-pad uтderstand midi commands from external midi controller connected via camera connection kit

bind controller to fader/mute/pan/dca/soft key/etc

it will be really great use physical faders anywhere!

nottooloud
    Participant

i’d like qu-pad uтderstand midi commands from external midi controller connected via camera connection kit

bind controller to fader/mute/pan/dca/soft key/etc

it will be really great use physical faders anywhere!

You can do that now. A&H MIDI is very well documented.

Profile photo of Onemoarcherry
    Onemoarcherry
    Participant

i don\t want to use pc/mac
    i want use only my ipad and midi controller connected to ipad

qu-pad<-Midi controoler,
    not mixer<-pc/mac (with daw?)<-wifi<-ipad (with some threepart software too)<-midi controller

just plug it like this and use qu-pad
    not exactly that controller

i want to assign some channels and dca by qu-pad. qu-pad receives midi and do some actions by itself

nottooloud
    Participant

It might be possible from iPad. There are several apps that do some MIDI translation. I haven’t explored that, because it’s so easy on Android. You run the Qu version of Mixing Station Pro, plug in pretty much any MIDI controller, and configure it in the app. You can buy an Android tablet that will handle it for under $50. Depending on where you are, the Barnes and Noble 7″ Nook, which has 5 gHz WIFI, is on sale right now for $30. MSP costs a few bucks, and you’re good to go.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.