quick and easy way to make stereo channel mono or stereo mix mono?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions quick and easy way to make stereo channel mono or stereo mix mono?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GeddonArchon GeddonArchon 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeddonArchon
    GeddonArchon
    Participant

Is there a quick way on the qu series to make a stereo channel mono and/or make a stereo mix mono? I feel like this would have been a nice button to have. If not I’ll probably shove something between a mix out and my monitors.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you are not panning any of the sends on a stereo mix as in they are all straight up center the stereo pair of outputs on a stereo are mono, just use one or the other.
    If you need to send the mix to two different locations the outputs are identical.
    Or is the question only about the stereo inputs and stereo mix outs?

On the stereo channels do you want to sum a stereo source to mono or do you just have a single mono input. If it just a mono input plug into just the left channel input jack.

GeddonArchon
    Participant

yes the question is about stereo inputs and stereo mix outs. say i have a stereo channel on two inputs and i want to make it mono with a press of a button and back to stereo with a press of a button. or same thing with a stereo mix out. it is stereo and i want to quickly change it to mono and back. yes sum a stereo source to mono on a stereo input pair would work. I already ordered a mackie passive monitor controller (big knob passive) because I think what I want can’t be done on the mixer and really I guess I’m fine with another little piece of equipment I can stick up where people normally place an ipad or iphone on my qu32. it would give me a mono button and a dim button and another way to mute and I guess a big knob but I have a fader handy and a mute button pretty handy. I just want the mono button really.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sounds like this is in a recording studio or mixing set up.

If you want to listen to the main left right mix in mono you can use the ALT Out connections and in the IO routing screen there are two mono sum options for the Left Right main mix. If you have one of the digital stage boxes on the output patching there
    the same two mono sum options, one is pre fade and the other post fade.

For a quick change to mono you could build two scenes, a stereo and a mono, in the global filter block everything except the output patch routing, set two soft keys that recall each of those scenes.

GeddonArchon
    Participant

ok, soft keys to recall a particular scene sounds interesting and I didn’t know that was possible. I ended up with the mackie big knob passive between the mixer and my monitors and that provides exactly what I wanted. I like the idea of scenes but I change things from time to time so really only use one scene. I think using 2 scenes for this one tiny thing would be a really wonky way of doing it, but cool it would work and setting particular scenes to soft keys sounds great, I might actually get around to using that feature. So far I mostly use those buttons for mutes.

My use case is actually way more silly. there is a youtube channel i check out and he is recording in stereo and it is just his voice and I find it super annoying to listen when he moves around. I’ve never encountered this with any other channels or whatever else I listen to but it made me realize a mono button would just be a nice convenience. Of course it will also be useful for other things too, but that stupid use case made me want that button.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.