Question about recording to HD – can you dump into Logic/Garageband?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Question about recording to HD – can you dump into Logic/Garageband?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

I’ve not yet tried recording our practices to an external hard drive. Is it possible to take the recordings and import them into a Logic or Garageband?

I was recording practices straight to a macbook, but there are some latency issues.

Thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – QuDrive recordings can be imported to just about anything. GarageBand will resample on import – so you probably want to normalise each track first.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

what kind of latency issues? When you’re only recording, latency (time from analogue impulse to reception of digital samples on the host side, few mSec) should not matter at all.
    QuDrive recordings are 24 Bit WAV files, if the DAW accepts WAV files, it likely will work with “Qu-WAV”s as well.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Thanks. Actually, I tried recording our rehearsals right into Garageband and would sometimes get an error due to not being able to write such large files, something along those lines. I would have to occasionally and stop/start recording after each song. My goal would be to just hit record and let the whole practice record, which is why I thougth going straight to a hard drive would be easier.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, you always will have a size/recordingtime limit when using WAV files, you may want to read the article Qu-Drive. Understanding Qu-Drive and USB.
    QuDrive uses FAT32 which has a file size limit of 4GBytes per file, WAV format itself limits an audio stream to 4GBytes due to format restrictions.
    When recording stereo 48kHz/24Bit this is about 4 hours, mono tracks allow 8h recording.
    That’s probably a similar restriction you’ve observed when using recording within GarageBand, other DAWs may automatically split recordings if required.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.